Author Topic: Weekend Update 10/14/18  (Read 13490 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 10/14/18
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2018, 02:20:49 AM »
I think I found the culprit.

It's the 'Toggle View' button that's below the "Change Color" drop down.  If it's clicked and you paste from something like Word, it adds the small font size tags.

Jason

Interesting . . .
 There is a "remove formatting" button next to it. I have never used either function.
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2018, 02:23:48 AM »
Interesting . . .
 There is a "remove formatting" button next to it. I have never used either function.

For the people having issues, they should go to their profile 'look and layout' settings and see if "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default." has a check mark.

Jason

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2018, 08:03:06 PM »
Time to go back to cork! (I miss live AMI roadbed!)
I don't know if you'd find it useful, but another possible source of foam tape in gray or black, is the folks who install camper shells on pickup trucks.
You may have to trim it to width.  i think it's about 2" wide, maybe 2.5".  But it's quite sticky.  I'm just not sure if it's sticky on both sides.
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »
Getting back to poles and how people climbed them:
In my youth around the Washington DC area, most of the "telephone poles" in my area had L-shaped metal steps sticking out on either side, of assist in climbing.  They were about 1" diameter rod, sticking out about a foot and turned up on their ends about 2" or 3".  The lowest ones to the ground were up high enough to keep little kids from climbing the poles (and getting electrocuted).  But, as I grew up, it was a "thing" to be able to jump high enough to grab the lowest step and pull yourself up to them.  However, in those days, people old enough to do that were apparently old enough to know not to climb higher.  I think those steps disappeared before I reached 21, but I am not sure exactly when.  Strangely, I have not noticed those steps on the signal wire poles in old photographs of trackside lines, so maybe they never were put on those poles?

Any illumination about when and where such steps would be appropriate additions to my models of the early 1950s would be appreciated.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2018, 11:04:46 AM »
In my youth around the Washington DC area, most of the "telephone poles" in my area had L-shaped metal steps sticking out on either side, of assist in climbing.  They were about 1" diameter rod, sticking out about a foot and turned up on their ends about 2" or 3".  The lowest ones to the ground were up high enough to keep little kids from climbing the poles (and getting electrocuted).  But, as I grew up, it was a "thing" to be able to jump high enough to grab the lowest step and pull yourself up to them.  However, in those days, people old enough to do that were apparently old enough to know not to climb higher.  I think those steps disappeared before I reached 21, but I am not sure exactly when.  Strangely, I have not noticed those steps on the signal wire poles in old photographs of trackside lines, so maybe they never were put on those poles?

Any illumination about when and where such steps would be appropriate additions to my models of the early 1950s would be appreciated.

Residential areas in the 5 boroughs of the rotten apple had them , but not all . I would think it is a cost to install vs saved man hours because no ladder needed to be put up .

Richie Dost

tlaswell

• Respect: +4
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »
Residential areas in the 5 boroughs of the rotten apple had them , but not all . I would think it is a cost to install vs saved man hours because no ladder needed to be put up .

Now days everyone has bucket trucks so they don't need to climb poles.  If I remember correctly those steps were spread out to the point you can reach the next one by hand.  The climber used them as an assist to the spikes they wore on their shoes, not as the only thing needed to climb the poles.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »

[size=78%]Maybe we can get to the bottom of it.[/size]
How did you create that post?  On a computer (Windows or MAC) or on a smart phone (iPhone or Android)?
What exactly did you cut/paste those links from?

Pete....thx
used pc / chrome
copied web address with control c from the window in upper ribbon in chrome
then did  a control v into a quoted post/reply here
each address was done individually
did not attempt to format text in any way
again, thx
Gary

p.s. my fingers on a cellphone? never going to happen. too small to ever get the correct letter
;-)

PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »

Pete....thx
used pc / chrome
copied web address with control c from the window in upper ribbon in chrome
then did  a control v into a quoted post/reply here
each address was done individually
did not attempt to format text in any way
again, thx
Gary

That is odd - it doesn't seem that you did anything unusual which would change the font size.  What is even stranger now is seeing a text resize tag (which is actually visible as plain text) in the quote of my post you included in your post.  It shows that the first sentence of my post you quoted tagged to be rendered at 78% of the default size.  Weird!

Maybe, like Jason mentioned, you should check your account 'look and layout' settings and see if "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default." has a check mark.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2018, 10:23:31 PM »

I was in Manchester, NH around Bartlett St. yesterday and I noticed that the utility poles still had those climbing steps. And there were 2 different types. One pole had the L-shaped steps, while the other pole had the steps that looked like large nails.  And this is 2018!  Ed's Rule applies again.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:38:10 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2018, 12:22:30 AM »
+2
I was in Manchester, NH around Bartlet St. yesterday and I noticed that the utility poles still had those climbing steps. And there were 2 different types.
Did you happen to notice any other types of poles here:

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2018, 12:37:06 AM »
+1
Did you happen to notice any other types of poles here:

Why yes, that was the destination for that visit!  :D  That's where I get my Polish goodies.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:38:51 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .