Author Topic: Which N scale Loksound decoder should I get?  (Read 1093 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
Which N scale Loksound decoder should I get?
« on: October 18, 2018, 02:56:20 PM »
I need a Loksound decoder for my BC Rail GE 8–40CM. Can I get a Loksound Select Micro with the correct sound file, or do I need to order the Select V4?  I guess I’m not clear on what the differences are. I’m not looking for a lot of really fancy operational features. (Although they may come into play at a later date). Four functions are plenty. 

Thank you.

Craig

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Re: Which N scale Loksound decoder should I get?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »
Yes, you can get a sound file correct for that particular loco in a Select Micro as seen here searching under 8-40CM...

http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?cat=2&q=8-40CM

At least some ESU dealers will load a requested sound file when you order the decoder but I've seen them listed as "generic" elsewhere, in which case you will need a LokProgrammer to add the file.

At least one difference between a V4 Micro and a Select Micro is the V4 has more sound editing capabilities where the Select Micro is a bit more, well, select or set. That said, the Select Micro still allows you to change and adjust many things, such as; horn and bell type and volume, prime mover sound speed playback, etc.

You also may want to evaulate if you want a Select Micro or one of the new "slide-in" sound boards, which are narrower but longer.

Also, there's some potential for confusion between a "V4 Micro" sound decoder vs. a "version 4.0" non-sound micro decoder. I sometimes get a little hung up on this myself.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:58:40 PM by tehachapifan »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 06:31:21 PM »
ESU currently sells 2 "flavors" of sound decoders.  "Select" and "V4".  As I understand, the difference between them is that "Select" has a smaller range of sound projects available, and the sounds projects cannot be tweaked or changed.  V4 has more sound projects available, and you can swap sounds between various projects, or even add your own (using the LokProgrammer of course).

As I understand, the "Select" was created specifically for ESU USA (and it is less expensive than V4).
Here is a link to the "Select" page: http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-select/
And to the V4 page: http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-v40/
. . . 42 . . .

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 09:14:27 AM »
Unless you want to modify a sound file with your own sounds, or "roll your own" sound file completely, get a Select Micro if it has an appropriate sound file.  You'll save about $30, and there is no difference in sound quality or other features between the two EXCEPT for the ability to create your own sound files or modify existing sound files with your own sounds.

So if the proper sound file exists for a Select Micro (which it appears is true in this case), go that route.  No need to spend an extra $30.

John C.

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »
Yep! Select and V4 use same "hardware".
Select can "load" a complete project selectable from the web site (as already said) but this is a non modifiable project.
V4 projects can be edited (full customization) and user can change just some sounds or other functions.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 06:12:09 PM »
Right on. Thanks everyone.

Craig