Author Topic: Kato doing new run of El Cap included PAs and F7s. Also Gold Bonnet PA.  (Read 2053 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +936
Re: Kato doing new run of El Cap included PAs and F7s. Also Gold Bonnet PA.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
:facepalm:  How I missed Simon's posting is beyond me. Memory might be playing tricks about the train making it to Texas, though I did see one mention of it online... somewhere... but with none of the other information. If it only did its thing in Southern California, that makes usefulness for anything other than a showpiece less so.

I am next to certain there was an article about the train in the Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modeling Society's newsletter/magazine - The Warbonnet - some time ago. I couldn't find an online index and I'm not a member, so can't point to a specific issue.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 02:50:57 PM »
Simon D. provided some good info too.  I wonder where he found it and what search string he used to find that info?
http://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?threads/santa-fe-pa-1-gold-bonnet-53.76102/#post-878810
First result from Google using the search string "Santa Fe PA gold".

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +529
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 03:19:07 PM »
Simon D. provided some good info too.  I wonder where he found it and what search string he used to find that info?

Search Google for "atsf pa gold bonnet" and you get multiple references to the same info.

Jason

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »
Did the PA’s pull the Hi-level El Cap? All the picture Ihave seen are of F units doing so.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +252
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »
Did the PA’s pull the Hi-level El Cap? All the picture Ihave seen are of F units doing so.
That's one of those where, if I were to say "no" based on 100 pictures of the El Cap, as soon as I hit the post button, a dozen photos would show up with PAs leading the El Cap.

But let's say it was rarely, if ever.  Would only be due to an equipment problem or some high traffic holiday scheduling.

The bright side- if you get the PAs, you have the opportunity to get more passenger cars- including some heavyweights if you model the 1950s-- and inaugurate a Grand Canyon, or a ton of head end for a Fast Mail- trains that would be more likely to draw PAs for power.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 04:24:15 PM »
That's one of those where, if I were to say "no" based on 100 pictures of the El Cap, as soon as I hit the post button, a dozen photos would show up with PAs leading the El Cap.

But let's say it was rarely, if ever.  Would only be due to an equipment problem or some high traffic holiday scheduling.

The bright side- if you get the PAs, you have the opportunity to get more passenger cars- including some heavyweights if you model the 1950s-- and inaugurate a Grand Canyon, or a ton of head end for a Fast Mail- trains that would be more likely to draw PAs for power.

Thanks I was just curious since Kato put the first two years of the El Cap with the PA’s.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 06:51:52 PM »
I think they also brought out the "modernized" F3s at about the same time- at least that is when I remember buying mine.  My favorite F units.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +199
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 09:20:27 PM »
+1
It's a 2nd tier Railroad.  ;)

Nah the 2nd tier was when we brought out the High-level cars.
I wonder why nobody had produced a North Coast Limited yet...…………………….. :trollface:
EFM (Elite Fleet Modeler) member #1
I want a 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2!
Modeling Cajon Pass in 1947

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 11:35:08 PM »
The San Francisco Chief used hi level cars and was frequently pulled by PA's

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »
The San Francisco Chief used hi level cars and was frequently pulled by PA's
There is a train that Kato could sell me, if they did the early version with a Big Dome and a couple pre-war sleepers and Budd diner. Certainly could get pretty close to a later one, just by mixing Super Chief and El Cap cars, and throw in a Budd 10-6 and a 6-6-4 (IIRC).
Tom D.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +406
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
Nah the 2nd tier was when we brought out the High-level cars.
I wonder why nobody had produced a North Coast Limited yet...…………………….. :trollface:

Listen, my comment was tongue in cheek about the Pennsy, as has been made by many over the years, not the Santa Fe as has been interpreted.  :)
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 04:34:48 PM »
+1
Listen, my comment was tongue in cheek about the Pennsy, as has been made by many over the years, not the Santa Fe as has been interpreted.  :)
There's no misinterpretation going on - just Pennsy fans returning the favor.  :P

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +199
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 10:26:53 PM »
+1

As was mine man! Hence the troll face lol. Im just giving you some crap lol
EFM (Elite Fleet Modeler) member #1
Modeling Cajon Pass in 1947

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 11:08:44 PM »
>> Also Gold Bonnet PA. 

But, will it be accurate?
--
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:50:30 PM by nscalbitz »

DRGW5349

• Respect: +2
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
+2
I hate to do this as this thread is about Kato producing a gold AT&SF PA-1 but there are several factual inaccuracies that need to be corrected.

"Kato insist on presenting the D&RGW PA1s in each derived scheme with dark green anti-glare nose paint. Which, actually the never wore."
The Kato D&RGW PA is correct for the 1956 to 1961 period. See page 57 of Sandrin's Rio Grade in Color Vol. 3. The anti-glare paint had a texture to it and gathered grime and soot. The anti glare often looked darker because of this. Over time the green paint faded to a lighter grey/green.

There is simply no photographic evidence of a green nose in railroad use.
See above photographic evidence. Also page 50 for green anti-glare on F3A 5541 and page 60 FTA 5481 post wreck rebuild to F7A standard.

The only one is the poorly re-painted F9 5771 by the Colorado RR Musem which, up to 1975 on the RGZephyr, it also never wore in service.
I am not sure what is poorly repainted about 5771. It has been restored to the as delivered scheme used from 1955 to around 1965. See page 45 of Sandrin's Rio Grade in Color Vol. 3 for the unit being delivered in 1955 (without anti-glare paint) and page 117 of Copeland's D&RGW Color Pictorial Vol.1 in 1960 with anti-glare paint. As a side note the anti-glare is a very dark green similar to PRR green with a little black added.
Marlin