Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/30/18  (Read 11291 times)

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Weekend Update 9/30/18
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »
+1
I don't think I mentioned this to anyone, but I REALLY got a kick out of seeing this kind of stuff you were running in Altoona. It was refreshing, to say the least!
I do my best to keep things interesting  ;)
English and Soviet railways have always captivated me, among others. Foreign trains don't often get modeled in the US, so I try to break the mold a give folks a taste of how things are done in other parts of the world.

I think it was SLC NTS, or maybe the Denver Rocky Mountain show, I was running British Railways Tornado.  A guy was moseying around the layout when Tornado runs by, he puffed his chest out and says "Oh a British train huh?  I don't think they run those here in the United States." Myek. Myek.   Before I could reply, this kid runs up, maybe 14-15 years old, and yells "WWWWOOOOOOWWWW!!!!  ITS TORNADO!!!!" 
The look on the other guy's face was priceless.
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »
I do my best to keep things interesting  ;)
English and Soviet railways have always captivated me, among others. Foreign trains don't often get modeled in the US, so I try to break the mold a give folks a taste of how things are done in other parts of the world.

Way to go Cody! 
If you like obscure European modeling, try PKP - models of Polish Railways (especially N scale) are even scarcer than Russian models.
I too like to run non-American trains on our NTRAK layouts. We have few other members in the club who are aslo into non-American prototypes.  Generally we get positive comments and the variety makes things more interesting.  The club members even accept an occasional Thomas the Tank Engine set running around the layout.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »
Way to go Cody! 
If you like obscure European modeling, try PKP - models of Polish Railways (especially N scale) are even scarcer than Russian models.
I too like to run non-American trains on our NTRAK layouts. We have few other members in the club who are aslo into non-American prototypes.  Generally we get positive comments and the variety makes things more interesting.  The club members even accept an occasional Thomas the Tank Engine set running around the layout.  :)

Modeling the PKP would be too easy. All I'd have to do is add trucks and couplers to a few Kielbasa.  :trollface:

In all seriousness though, with even the less prominent railways getting attention in HO, I find the challenge of bringing them to N to be kinda fun.

The one place I really want to do some modeling of (because I'm fairly certain no one is doing it) is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. For a train I'd just need to modify and repaint some Piko USSR coaches and some CMR-Line Chinese coaches, and find someone willing to repaint a Fleischmann M62.

I think it was SLC NTS, or maybe the Denver Rocky Mountain show, I was running British Railways Tornado.  A guy was moseying around the layout when Tornado runs by, he puffed his chest out and says "Oh a British train huh?  I don't think they run those here in the United States." Myek. Myek.   Before I could reply, this kid runs up, maybe 14-15 years old, and yells "WWWWOOOOOOWWWW!!!!  ITS TORNADO!!!!" 
The look on the other guy's face was priceless.

That guy wouldn't want to see the original photos I have of Flying Scotsman (and it's accompanying rake of coaches) traveling through West Virginia when it was on it's lengthy tour of the US.

More recently at shows I've almost exclusively been running my UK stock. Primarily my GWR 3800 class and a rake of 40 empty private-owner coal wagons. It's a rather sizeable train, at least in terms of UK standards, but it's all the more impressive when it's running at a scale 35mph.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2018, 03:29:06 PM »
More recently at shows I've almost exclusively been running my UK stock. Primarily my GWR 3800 class and a rake of 40 empty private-owner coal wagons. It's a rather sizeable train, at least in terms of UK standards, but it's all the more impressive when it's running at a scale 35mph.

You have to bring that with you if you come up again next year! :D
Because why not...