Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/23/18  (Read 6511 times)

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
Re: Weekend Update 9/23/18
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
+10
Attended the ELRRHS Symposium in Binghamton over the weekend.  As usual, I learned new stuff, heard great stories and saw lots (and lots and lots) of slides from the 1970's.

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »
We need more N scale models for MARPM.  Some N scale oriented clinics would be great too. Clinicians get in for free, in case you need incentive.

Scott Wahl's WIP N scale Steel Mill module got a lot of attention. 

Thanks Adam,  Bernie, and Scott for flying the N flag.  I've not seen any N at the Valley Forge RPMs.  Barely any in the vendor room.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2388
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 07:50:20 PM »
+7
The forest through the trees...

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 08:21:36 PM »
Anyone here have experience with a motor only mounted in three locations rather than four?

I think you’ll be okay. The worm gears are anchored, and the three motor anchors should be enough.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +861
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 11:21:23 PM »
+3
Yesterday, while cleaning up my garage, I came across an old kit that I forgot about.  Today I painted up an Atlas Suburban Passenger Shelter in Pacific Electric colors. While not perfect, it is a decent stand in.

dmidkiff

• Crew
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
I think you’ll be okay. The worm gears are anchored, and the three motor anchors should be enough.

Thanks Bryan. I had the same thought. I'm more worried about possible noise from the motor vibrating too much because it's not held at four points.

Worst case, I can get a new frame.

Doug

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +119
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 09:44:49 PM »
+1
Attended the ELRRHS Symposium in Binghamton over the weekend.  As usual, I learned new stuff, heard great stories and saw lots (and lots and lots) of slides from the 1970's.

Ron

BINGO!! We have a winner!
Wish I could have made it this year.
Nice job on the station, Ron.

Greg O.

Hansel

• Respect: +3
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2018, 07:33:59 AM »
This also goes along with Spookshow's shell swap thread.

A Minitrix shell on a Bachmann NW-2 chassis.
(I could have sworn I posted this on that thread - as I was asked about the hand rails -- both of those posts are now gone) Strange---

Thanks,
Wolf

Do you have a build thread or additional pictures of your loco?  Looks great!

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2018, 09:12:35 AM »
I built this fuel tank over the weekend to go under my California Northern SD9. The locomotive is an ex-DMIR unit. My understanding is that the forward portion of the fuel tank was replaced with ballast for weight with the engineer side having a rack for extra knuckles.

Unfortunately, as I was looking at what portions of the frame to mill to fit the tank, I noticed that the air tanks go right through the front, lower motor mount. I don't know if I should hack up the front of the fuel tank to fit around the motor mount, or if I can remove those mounts from the frame and let the motor sit in the other three mounts.

Anyone here have experience with a motor only mounted in three locations rather than four?

Thanks, Doug

I had this exact problem with my two Briggs M420s. The P&W had the only centrally mounted short fuel tanks. BCR had them mounted to the rear and CN had large tanks. But the tank on the P&W units is too short to cover either motor mount. So I could try and hack the frames even more (they need a lot of work around the fuel tank), or just leave it as is. I chose to go with the less risky solution.

After running into a few fit issues, I found that the B23-7 chassis will fit the shell both facing forwards and backwards. So I decided to turn the second chassis around, giving me ample room for a 9x16 speaker and large enclosure in the back without any milling at all.

So one engine will be running around with a 8x12 and light shield enclosure like I experimented on with the B23-7, and the other will have a 9x16 with an enclosure nearly twice in size. It will be interesting to see which sounds better.

But that fuel tank with the visible motor mounts annoys me to no end.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away