Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/23/18  (Read 6532 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
Re: Weekend Update 9/23/18
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »
I did the same thing for a SP U-50 I did a custom paint job, except for the opposite reason: the red of the "wings" down the side of the cab was lighter than the red paint I did the nose with. Double decals matched perfectly. This double-application is a good solution for problems of too-light or too-dark mismatches between paint and decals. More people should know about it.

Indeed. I had never thought of it before it was suggested to me. Food for thought though. The artwork for this  decal set is probably 25ish years old as I remember them from when I was a kid. I think it was hand drawn as the VIA logos are not EXACTLY the same size. Not bad enough make a bit of difference. But I can see it. Still 1000% better than with out the double up.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:59:49 AM by craigolio1 »

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +293
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 01:57:01 PM »
+15
When Jason and the gang were here in March shooting the Turbo video, they really liked the way the Turbo snaked through the lower S curve on my turnback loop.  This area is right at the entrance way to the layout and I had never been particularly happy with how it appeared.  Here is a picture of the Turbo as it rounds the upper loop. 

Anyway, after talking to the four guys who are involved in our round robin group, here is how we spent this summer.  We aren't finished yet, but far enough along to show something.  More on this will be in the Grand Trunk Southern thread in the Layout Forum  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=26250.0

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »

It looks incredible! If I may make a suggestion though? The creek beside the track in this photo looks to me like it should enter a culvert or something otherwise the cut would flood. I think that would add some more realism to an already amazing scene. Perhaps is does and it’s just occluded by the lush greenery.

I love this layout. When I had the chance to operate on it in the spring it it opened my eyes to facet of the hobby that I had no experience with and I’m hooked.

Craig

ksmiley

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 05:26:29 PM »
I spent Friday and Saturday representing TRW and the N scale contingent at the Mid Atlantic RPM.  First time attending and first time displaying.  N scale displays were slim, though Saturday added an N scale steel mill module. 

Glad you enjoyed the MARPM. We'll do it again next year. I contributed the N Scale PRR N6b you may have seen. It got dwarfed by Bernie K's ship. I tried to post a pic of the Scott Wahl's steel mill modules but it wouldn't let me.
Kent

ksmiley

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed the MARPM. We'll do it again next year. I contributed the PRR N6b Cabin car you might have seen, it was a dwarfed by Bernie K's boat. I tried to add a picture of Scott Wahl's Steel Mill but it won't let me.
Kent

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 05:53:33 PM »
+1
Finally feeling decent and getting the deisre to model again. Getting these ready for a Wormapalooza decaling session using decals from Highball Graphics. Among other projects at least.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:57:59 PM by bman »

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
+5
Steely Dan was wrong there is STATIC:

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 07:14:39 PM »
+3

After a summer hiatus I've been working on the layout again, getting some basic scenery down. A real crappy, low light cell shot has the switch job near the West Bottoms of Kansas City in the autumn of 1984.

I'll have a proper update soon but progress always seems to be a mid point that is never too photogenic. And I'll pull the real camera and lights out too  :)

-Lucas

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the MARPM. We'll do it again next year. I contributed the N Scale PRR N6b you may have seen. It got dwarfed by Bernie K's ship. I tried to post a pic of the Scott Wahl's steel mill modules but it wouldn't let me.
Kent

That caboose was yours? I loved it. Got a url for the Shapeways starting point?

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 10:19:16 PM »
+4
We need more N scale models for MARPM.  Some N scale oriented clinics would be great too. Clinicians get in for free, in case you need incentive.

Scott Wahl's WIP N scale Steel Mill module got a lot of attention. 

And my ship was only dwarfing Kent's caboose for half the time. Here is on the first day.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2018, 11:36:14 PM »
It looks incredible! If I may make a suggestion though? The creek beside the track in this photo looks to me like it should enter a culvert or something otherwise the cut would flood. I think that would add some more realism to an already amazing scene. Perhaps is does and it’s just occluded by the lush greenery.

I love this layout. When I had the chance to operate on it in the spring it it opened my eyes to facet of the hobby that I had no experience with and I’m hooked.

Craig

Yes! Love that the creek is there, shows what made the valley the RR is traveling through. But as noted I don't see where it starts or ends. At the tunnel end don't need a culvert (which is fine for city scenes), you can put a cascade or waterfall which comes down from a creek cutting across the upper level. As for the bridge end, it looks like there's no room to keep the creek on the side where it is without extensive reworking of the scenery. If you don't have a stream outlet there now you can retro-fit a small bridge or culvert  for the creek to go under the track. Once on the other side of the track, the creek then flows under the upper-level track and continues on. The little bridge/culvert addition is easy to do.
If you're going to put a pier support where the two angled plate girders meet then the stream rework could be easily added to that project.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 12:17:25 AM »
+6
Been working on the Cedar Street overpass and surrounding streets.  The overpass is removable and held in place with magnets, so that's easy to remove and clean track (and run catenary).  Got the overpass concrete painted, still have to paint the girders and sidewalk guards, as well as the surrounding roads and sidewalks.  I will weather everything together once everything is painted.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
+8
I spent Saturday at the "Louisville Train Day" show displaying my Little River Lumber Company micro-layout. It was the first time I've ever displayed a layout or module publicly. It was quite a bit of fun! Talked to a lot of people, and conducted a few scenery clinics as well.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

dmidkiff

• Crew
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 09:59:45 AM »
+6
I built this fuel tank over the weekend to go under my California Northern SD9. The locomotive is an ex-DMIR unit. My understanding is that the forward portion of the fuel tank was replaced with ballast for weight with the engineer side having a rack for extra knuckles.

Unfortunately, as I was looking at what portions of the frame to mill to fit the tank, I noticed that the air tanks go right through the front, lower motor mount. I don't know if I should hack up the front of the fuel tank to fit around the motor mount, or if I can remove those mounts from the frame and let the motor sit in the other three mounts.

Anyone here have experience with a motor only mounted in three locations rather than four?

Thanks, Doug

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:08:27 AM by dmidkiff »

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »
+8
Cheated a little bit on this one. Took a look at a stock Life Like E7 in Boston and Maine and saw the possibility of a Maine Central unit. I filled the bottom headlight, matched the paint, removed the factory numbers, and added the number board and a few other decals.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]