Author Topic: Bachrus Test Tracks  (Read 2607 times)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
Re: Bachrus Test Tracks
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 09:32:21 PM »
Just a comment on folks not having thread gauges that are finer than 40 tpi: can't you use other screws of known thread pitch as gauges?  I often hold screw threads against each other to see if their threads match.  With a white paper behind them, I often don't even need a magnifying glass to see when they don't match.

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • It's pronounced Sandy AHHH Go
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 07:54:31 PM »
@mmagliaro Thx!

@Maletrain Sure, one can use a screw of known thread if you have, but using it as such - or even as a thread profile gauge, gets tough with miniature screws.  That's whey the pro tool and die guys uses something like these... https://www.threadcheck.com/southern-style-thread-ring-gages-unified-inch-steel/ which would be total overkill when my need was sourcing existing screws.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 08:48:27 PM »
Seriously!!!?  The prices for thread gauges in the link you provided are well over a hundred dollars apiece for one thread size!  I don't know of any modeler that uses anything like those.  The "screw checkers" that I have are simple plates with tapped holes drilled in them for various machine screw thread sizes and pitches, inches and metric.  Even those aren't cheap, but nothing like what is in your link.  And, the ones in your link don't go smaller than #0-80 tpi, anyway.  And #0-80 is certainly easy enough to check with another screw as an impromptu thread gauge. Use a magnifier if you must.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 09:10:32 PM »
Seriously!!!?  The prices for thread gauges in the link you provided are well over a hundred dollars apiece for one thread size!  I don't know of any modeler that uses anything like those.  The "screw checkers" that I have are simple plates with tapped holes drilled in them for various machine screw thread sizes and pitches, inches and metric.  Even those aren't cheap, but nothing like what is in your link.  And, the ones in your link don't go smaller than #0-80 tpi, anyway.  And #0-80 is certainly easy enough to check with another screw as an impromptu thread gauge. Use a magnifier if you must.

Yeah, buying bunch of screws and nuts (yes, nuts make good gauge too) in various sizes and using them as gauges would be a bit cheaper than the professional gauge for one screw.
. . . 42 . . .