Author Topic: Wheels of Time announced 1937 Daylight Chair car kits  (Read 3318 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
Re: Wheels of Time announced 1937 Daylight Chair car kits
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »
+1
Good to know - a much easier change.  Anyone got a pointer to a photo of one of these with skirts?
Here's one (I am pretty sure)- painted for the Challenger
http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/53877/rv/singleitem
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
I would imagine that since the tooling already exists for their injection molded lines (baggage, horse, Harriman coach, etc), they would run them whenever they see the demand.

But the 3D printed line will let them produce cars with less demand, and that could mean seeing several of the cars they once did in resin- as well as being able to branch out in other directions. Plus some new cars that would not meet the threshold to make injection molding viable.  Price looks reasonable too. Also provides for a continuous income stream for WoT, which I imagine is welcome when a business is depending on a container on a "slow boat from China" arriving a couple times a year.

Agreed on the extra income part. I did the whole pre-order with the WP F7s through WoT just so I could support the efforts to bring more stuff to the market. Matt is doing good.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »
Pete, what would be easier, produce a model with the skirts and hit modelers that model 1937 and later or lose the sales and produce yet another car that limits your customer base to 1950 and later? Those that dont want the skirts can simply remove them like everyone does on some of the kato cars.
You know im not afraid to build things. its just odd that WoT wouldnt want to cover more eras with the same car.

Drasko
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »
+1
Pete, what would be easier, produce a model with the skirts and hit modelers that model 1937 and later or lose the sales and produce yet another car that limits your customer base to 1950 and later? Those that dont want the skirts can simply remove them like everyone does on some of the kato cars.
You know im not afraid to build things. its just odd that WoT wouldnt want to cover more eras with the same car.

Drasko

You are correct of course. I don't know what was I thinking.   They really messed up!  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 11:13:28 PM »
This is, after all, a 3D printing project, so one might imagine the car (at some time in the future) could be offered with or without skirts, with AC variations, and with any interior arrangement it might have had. 
Tom D.

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 11:13:46 PM »
You are correct of course. I don't know what was I thinking.   They really messed up!  :facepalm:

No need for sarcasm pete, I just find it odd, especially when it wouldnt have taken much time/money to design the skirt in. It just seems that N-scale is a 1950-later scale ie Kato not doing the original 20th century limited. hell, i would have bought one of those to have!
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 12:59:02 AM »
+1
No need for sarcasm pete, I just find it odd, especially when it wouldnt have taken much time/money to design the skirt in. It just seems that N-scale is a 1950-later scale ie Kato not doing the original 20th century limited. hell, i would have bought one of those to have!

Leaving sarcasm aside, as mentioned, unlike injection molded plastic 3D printed  models be easily modified (and both versions offered for sale), assuming that it is something WOT wants to do.  Maybe if enough people will lobby for that version it will be made?
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 01:52:25 AM »
Am I missing something? The listing shows two distinct kits, one for UP and one for SP, but the kits come unpainted and have the exact same components, if I read the description right. So why two separate kits? If the sides came painted I could understand.
BTW there's only one more day to pre-order these.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 02:09:47 AM »
Different truck mounts.

Jason

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 04:34:40 AM »
It just seems that N-scale is a 1950-later scale ie Kato not doing the original 20th century limited. hell, i would have bought one of those to have!
Two things in favor of the 1948 Twentieth Century Ltd are that it had the lookout lounge observation car with the taller windows - supposedly Kato corporate likes distinctive passenger cars - and it was initially hauled by E7 diesels, so only new shells would be required for the existing E8/9 mechanism. 

However, the Dreyfuss Hudson steam engine was a winner of a past Kato survey poll, so it's entirely possible that loco will eventually become a future release.
Given Kato's tendency produce complete trains, one might expect that the 1938/40 version of the Twentieth Century Ltd passenger cars will also be made.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
Early streamliners do seem to be right up Kato's alley. Everything matches, anyone who wants the cars wants the whole set.  The locomotives usually hung around for 20 years and were iconic to the particular railroad- so a market for those in addition to all the ones sold with cars. And I am sure they would have a huge collector market, over and above those bought by all of us who might run one.

But Kato has a year or 2 between major train releases, and who knows how many 1950s trains or those funny Amtrak thingees are already in the pipeline ahead of 1930s Super Chiefs or 20th Centuries?
Tom D.