Author Topic: Expected price increase (Shapeways)  (Read 1764 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3155
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Expected price increase (Shapeways)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 07:36:06 PM »
@peteski , you missed the point.  this is about the potention evolution of the process and the future potential cost.  if it keeps rising, no one will be using any primer or workaround.

We all agree that we wish the process rendered equal quality to an injection molded part.  Wouldn't that be nice?

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +563
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »
@Maletrain , see this- it took me over 3 years and 1000 hours to design and release: 

I had already seen that in your other post, John.  Quite impressive.  But it is a shrouded locomotive, which is designed to have smooth surfaces instead of the more typical steam locomotive exterior with all sorts of equipment visibly hanging on the firebox, boiler and smoke box and connected by pipe runs.  So, it is more amenable to 3D printing with most of its surface in the main print.  What you did with the tender underbody is more what I have in mind for the steam domes, stacks, etc. for more typical steam locomotives.  I know that "Keystone Details" is mainly Pennsy oriented, but let me know if you ever get the urge to make a shell for a B&O locomotive.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:01:36 PM by Maletrain »

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3155
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 08:55:30 PM »
@Maletrain , I would use the same principle as you mentioned.  Boiler shell with add on pieces.  Sand the boiler add the parts, bands could be grooves in the shell to fit thicker soft brass strips, rivets added with archer, etc. slip on can with smooth surfaces and glue in windows.  etched walkways, stanchions, etc.

Maybe someday when I am retired. and not till I complete my PRR stuff (that I want).

Keep in mind that this price increase, if too drastic may force me to close Keystone Details altogether, if folks cant afford the little stuff I design.  Speaker boxes, trucks, etc.  Really worried how this will affect my shop.