Author Topic: MRH MAGAZINE IS NOW CHARGING FOR "PREMIUM CONTENT"  (Read 3211 times)

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
Re: MRH MAGAZINE IS NOW CHARGING FOR "PREMIUM CONTENT"
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 10:13:11 PM »
It is disappointing but it really isn't surprising to me especially as someone who does n scale and seeing they already charge for the video channel they run. Which I think has better content than the magazine anyway.

They have very few n scale advertisers (and I have found most advertisers don't even clarify what scale they cover which seems to be specific to only one scale  :facepalm:) and they have even fewer articles that cover n scale. 

This is the fist month I have seen them do two articles on n scale in the same month and some months they don't have any.

I doubt I will be paying for any premium content since I am lucky to have one article a month interest me and truthfully that is rare.   Really if I was to spend any money at all it would in all likelihood be to subscribe to the video channel.

Early on Joe said they were going to focus on HO and O because there were already two N-Scale magazines out there. So it is always a pleasant surprise to find N-Scale focused content. I liked their video channel but found I didn't watch enough to keep up the subscription. I have purchased a few videos on weathering, all were well done and the content was terrific.  I normally find one or two articles that interest me then I move on.
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 11:37:31 PM »
The title "MRH MAGAZINE IS NOW CHARGING FOR "PREMIUM CONTENT"" is technically incorrect, as the charging starts on November issue.
Yes, they may well be taking 'advance' subs, but....
d

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 01:45:24 PM »
If I was a model manufacturer and just had a factory closure in China that meant my income would be questionable for a few months, the first thing I'd do is cut back on advertising too....

Good point. Didn't think of that. AFAIK Intermountain has been hit very hard.

There is a flow on from Affa. Just watch it bit both online and brick retailers....

What do you think is going to happen?

Javier

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 01:28:16 AM »
It doesn't surprise me that online ad revenue is down.  In fact, I'm surprised it took this long to happen.  Online ads are just like "TV" in the sense that as people become used to them, they also become accustomed to tuning them out and they don't generate the same amount of business that they used to.  I cannot remember the last time I clicked on an online ad, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  If that's the case, why would advertisers pay to run ads?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 02:29:37 AM »
When I was 4 years old watching TV with my grandparents on a TV with an antenna and no remote control. My grandfather always told me what types of scams they were running in the commercials or what the hidden catch was to get the "deal". In general he made it sound like they just couldn't be trusted. It's the same thing now. Tons of ads for crap nobody wants, but they make it sound like suck a deal.

I remember ads with lots of fine print that was impossible to read on the screen in a few seconds. Or there was the fast talking mumbo-jumbo they would add right at the end.

As for model railroading. We all pretty much know what is out there and seeing and ad is not the first time we're hearing of it.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »
Tons of ads for crap nobody wants, but they make it sound like suck a deal.

Freudian, anyone?  :D

I certainly agree with the sentiment, Chris.

Jim

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 12:26:50 PM »
 :oops: