Author Topic: Function Mapping ESU Loksound Select micro (FT)  (Read 2354 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
Function Mapping ESU Loksound Select micro (FT)
« on: September 09, 2018, 01:58:30 PM »

May have asked this before but if I did I can not find it, so :

I downloaded, via Lokprogrammer, the FT UP844 file and in the function mapping option the far right column which is "sounds" lists the sound slot by name. I downloaded the SP GS4 file and that column only shows "sound slot #" with no name. Have I done something wrong or is that just the way it is? My programmer has the most recent 4.7.2 version installed.

The FT Steam manual has a list of Function Buttons that shows name for the function. Are those the same for every steamer?

Any help appreciated,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: Function Mapping ESU Loksound Select micro (FT)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 02:17:32 PM »
I've noticed that, once a sound file is downloaded into a decoder (Select Micro) and the loco had been removed from the LokProgrammer programming track at least once, the right column will only show the sound slot numbers as you described. However, if I open the original sound file itself off my computer (I keep original sound files in a desktop file), I will see the sound slot descriptions too. So, if I need to figure out what sound slot does what, I open the original file off the computer, make note of the sound slot numbers that correspond to the sound slot name I want, then put the loco on the programming track and open it up and make my adjustments. Note that, if you open the original file with the loco on the programming track and save a change from there, the loco will revert to whatever all the CV settings were in the original file. This is whay I close the original file, then place the loco on the track and open the decoder itself. There's probably another way to do this but it works for me.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:24:30 PM by tehachapifan »

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
The file on the ESU site has the sound slot names in it. I would download again, and make sure that is the file you open.

If you have a loco which is behaving as you want, and you know the original file you used, you can read the decoder back into the project, so that the maps are in synch.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:22:34 PM »
Thanks Russ and Rick for the replies, I thought I was loosing my marbles over this but see I am not alone.
I downloaded the 75837 file again this afternoon, I had originally downloaded in February, so I wanted to be sure to be working with the latest version. The function mapping page showed the sound slot names so I did a screen print of the sounds column and all 24 slots to be used as reference. I also did a screen print of the full mapping page to see how ESU defaulted the functions. I rest my address, saved the project and closed it off. Went back to check the project, as saved, and found the mapping page did not show sound slot names but rather only the slot #. IMHO, ESU needs to make a change in their packages and leave the slot names on at all times. Maybe they are saving space ? ?

I do have another problem with the headlight/mars light unit. I put a Richmond controls unit in the boiler and tested with a 9v batt, all was well. However the decoder as programmed before recent download would not turn the Richmond unit on. The unit is rated for 9-19 v's, I think, so I tested with my batt again and all worked well. Just one more thing to think about. Ouch, I feel the sawdust burning, perhaps a cold hef would help. I know they work as I had one in an earlier GS4.

Thanks again,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:41:12 AM »

I do have another problem with the headlight/mars light unit. I put a Richmond controls unit in the boiler and tested with a 9v batt, all was well. However the decoder as programmed before recent download would not turn the Richmond unit on. The unit is rated for 9-19 v's, I think, so I tested with my batt again and all worked well. Just one more thing to think about. Ouch, I feel the sawdust burning, perhaps a cold hef would help. I know they work as I had one in an earlier GS4.

That is curious.
Have you tested that function output using a typical LED with a 1k resistor?  Just to make sure the function actually turns on.
If it does, leave the LED test circuit still hoked up and connect the flasher unit in parallel with it.  I mean hook up the positive lead of the flasher to the blue (positive) decoder lead, and the negative lead of the flasher to the function output.  Then see what happens when you turn that function on.  Does the test LED light up and the flasher does not?
. . . 42 . . .

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 12:45:26 AM »
Carl, what version of the LokProgrammer software are you using? I have never seen this behavior before. The ONLY time one would not see the slot names is if you read the loco. A saved file being reopened will have the names. The decoder does not have any of the slot names in it.

Make sure you are hooking up the Mars light correctly. The blue wire is + and the function wire is -.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 11:30:59 AM »

Rick,

My programmer version is 4.7.2 and as of yesterday there is no newer version.

What you are saying is exactly what I was attempting to say, but very poorly. Yes, I download a new file into my " My ESU Sound Files " folder along with 5 other files. I loaded the decoder data and sound data into my decoder once again and bingo the slot names are shown. I had to stop the project, so I set the decoder address to 4449 and saved and closed the project. Yes, when I came back to it and checked for the slot names, only the slot #'s are shown. That is what you are saying. My question is why hasn't ESU elected to leave the slot names available at all times. Possibly to save space in the decoder ?

I mentioned in earlier post that I did screen shots of the function mapping pages and enlarged all of the drop down slot names. I will put these into a 3 ring binder along with any other info such as the bulletin for future reference.

Carl

Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »

Pete,

Thanks for your reply. I have not done as you suggested and tested the function output. I did test the Richmond light board with a 9v batt and it worked as supposed to. I actually was thinking that, through re-mapping, I screwed up the functions operation. With the download of the decoder and sound data again, I hope the mapping is corrected. I shall connect a protected LED as you suggested today.

Thanks again,
Carl

As I was about to post this I had a thought. I have been connecting the Richmond unit to the Forward light function, blue/white. In the Richmond unit that turns on the headlight and the mars light together, but that is OK. Perhaps the FO function does not supply enough power ? ? ?
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 02:31:36 PM »

As I was about to post this I had a thought. I have been connecting the Richmond unit to the Forward light function, blue/white. In the Richmond unit that turns on the headlight and the mars light together, but that is OK. Perhaps the FO function does not supply enough power ? ? ?

The test I recommended will answer that question, but I highly doubt it.  ESU function outputs are rated for 0.25A (250mA) each.  Standard white LEDs with resistor will usually use around 2-10mA. I can't imagine the flasher using more than 50mA (probably much less).  Lots of current to spare.  Remember, the outputs are still designed to handle the incandescent light bulbs (but even those are usually rated for 40mA).

Some ESU decoders have some logic function outputs which are very low power, but I think that you are using a standard function output, right?
. . . 42 . . .

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »

Pete,

the LED/resistor test did not work at first. I hate to admit this on national forum but either my stupidity or lack of attention caused the entire light problem. When I wired the grey/orange leads to the motor tabs I got them reversed from what they should have been and of course the loco ran backwards when in forward on the throttle. I programmed the decoder to run forward but I did not stop to think about the FO function button being set to light when moving forward. I reversed the headlight setting to operate in reverse and voila I have lights when moving forward.

The LokProgrammer is putting 14v on the rail and the function output measure is 14V but the Richmond module is made to handle max 16v for N scale. Our club layout (Digitrax) has only 11.5 volts so I should be good. DCC is fun ! !  Thanks for your input.

Carl

I forgot to mention the decoder is a hard wired Select Micro.
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
Carl

Revisiting the slot labels.   Are you saving the project (with your changes, new address, etc) to a disk file on your PC as well as writing to the loco, and then reopening the disk file and not seeing the slot names, or are you only saving to the decoder, and then reading the "project" back from the decoder?   Remember, you cannot read the sounds from the decoder (let alone the slot names), all you can read are the CVs.

If you are, indeed, saving to a file, and then opening the saved file and the slot names are missing, then there is a real problem which ESU needs to know about.  I have actually been away from the trains for about a month, so have not attempted anything with 4.7.2, but I have also not seen anyone report an issue on the any of the LokSound groups (Yahoo or FB).
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 10:51:10 PM »
Carl, don't feel bad - nobody's perfect. I make lots of mistakes too (some worse than others).  No damage is done, and the problem is explained and resolved. What more can you ask for? 
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 11:23:52 PM »
Rick-

My guess is Carl is doing what I typically do, which is place an already-programmed loco on the programming track, open the LokProgrammer and select "modify settings of an ESU decoder", which will result in only the sound slot numbers being displayed on the function mapping page.

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 11:53:42 PM »

Pete,

I am ecstatic, can't ask for much more than that, about solving my proprietary goof. I have sent you some of my mistakes so I know no perfection here.

Russ and Rick,

Briefly: I download a file from ESU and place it into a disk file. The initial loading of decoder was by opening that file, placing loco on program track, then downloading decoder data first and then sounds data. All is well. Thing runs well makes noises and lights up. I save that to disk.

Next time I want to alter the decoder, I place pre-programmed loco on track and then I open programmer and I was using the "Open File" folder and that is when the mapping would not include slot names.

This evening I learned it is best to go up to the "File" tab and select the file from the drop down list that is shown and after it opens all the name slots are there. After making changes, I save project and close it. I guess I was not using the programmer correctly, but in the future I will not open via the "open file" folder but only from the File tab. Believe it or not, I have read manual for programmer and because I am dense I find it to be as confusing as a Digitrax manual, just MHO. I do not use it enough as well.

This DCC stuff is cool and very rewarding when operating properly. Thanks for your comments and help.

I am happy with what I have found out,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 10:27:19 AM »
Glad you figured it out.  I usually just open a project by double clicking on the file in the Windows Explorer (to each his own).  The ESU manual for the LokProgrammer is terrible.  There is an alternate version, created by Phil Dunlap, in the ESU Yahoo Groups files section.  It is much much much much much much better.  If you are not a member of the group, PM me with your email and I can send you a copy.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N