Author Topic: Bachman SD9  (Read 5279 times)

JoeW

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • N Layout list
Bachman SD9
« on: August 31, 2018, 10:35:44 PM »
Has Anyone had a chance to see the new Bachman SD9 operate?   If so I’d be interested to know your opinions
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:29:22 AM by GaryHinshaw »

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Bachman SD9
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 08:14:03 AM »
I see they're now in stock at MBK. I have one reserved with hogtrainz, but evidently they haven't received theirs yet.

-Mark

JoeW

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • N Layout list
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »
+1
That’s great Mark I think I will standby for your report on the   http://www.spookshow.net/trainstuff.html Thanks for all the great references and the best independent guide about n scale locomotive and rolling stock on the internet. 

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »
I'm cautiously optimistic. Mark, I just read your review of their new Dash-8. Looks like they solved the running issues that plagued their last Dash 8 production (BTW, the shells are the same as this new run. Interesting to see the fuel tank revert to one peice... The last production had separate air tanks. Presuming this was done to provide enough room for the speaker).
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 02:47:30 PM »
I test ran one yesterday - I was not impressed. Looks nice though.

Slow speed performance was not great on the one I tested. Sound is cool but I have been spoiled by ESU of late - they seem to be nailing it on some recent releases (especially the Scale Trains HO C39-8)

Will need to test a few more before I have a firm opinion.

Mark
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:10:36 AM by Mark5 »

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the kind words.

Dan, the new Dash-8's are very impressive runners indeed (especially as compared to Bachmann's DCC-Sound SD45's, which were total crap). As a rule, I don't generally hang on to the locomotives that I purchase for review, but I liked my UP Dash-8 enough to keep it (which should tell you something).

-Mark

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 08:15:39 PM »
The previous generation would work well, with a lot of work. I realigned the truck contacts to the frame. That only improved things a bit. Things improved considerably when I attached bronze contact strips to the bottom of the frame with 00-90 screws. Zinc alloy was never great at electrical contact on moving parts.

When converting to DCC, I tossed the light board completely and just card wired the thing. They do run very well now.

When these came out (2003), A lot of people did not like them for whatever reason. I thought this new shell looked sharp, with a (relatively) scale width hood and flush windows. It was one of the first models to feature add-ons like free standing nose grabs and non-functional ditch lights. One of the big complaints on this forum was the molded lines for the access doors. Bachmann "cut" the doors into the side of the shell rather than the Atlas/Kato method of tooling them "on top" of the body. But this is how the real engines were built, and the panel gaps were Tesla wide:
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/1/3/0/9130.1279813582.jpg

My only complaint about the appearance was the rather crude radiator corrugations along the side, and the factory paint.

One thing we are seeing with new sound equipped engines is that the more successful ones (SD35, Dash-8, BLI's) use wires from the trucks to the board. This may be a necessary evil in order to ensure good contact. If they use advanced materials (thin, stranded super flexible wires and high temp solder), I don't see these being any worse off than the bronze contact strip method.

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 05:05:40 PM »
+1

drbnc

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 05:20:43 PM »
Thanks for the $$$-saving review.  Yours, plus a dealer's video that makes them look like they are riding high on their trucks, saves me from tragedy and sadness.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 06:35:07 PM »
Thanks, Mark!!

I may wait for them to go on blow out clearance -- so, I won't feel to bad about removing the sound decoder and replacing it with one of my choice. For the SP version -- I have no idea why Bachmann added the winterization thing -- I have yet to see one in a prototype photo -- not to say it didn't happen. If it did -- it would be beyond rare. SP generally did not use them. OH well -- would be a quick and easy fix. As well as adding the usual light package. But, I am getting way ahead of myself -- this is assuming I actually purchase a few of these. Yes - I'm torn. As Cadillacs are one my favorite locomotives -- Bachmann - not so much. Factory installed DCC --- even less so.

Wolf

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 10:05:01 PM »
Well, I'm not a fan - http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bachsd9.html

-Mark

Thanks for the review. Can you take a photo of the trucks/wheels with the side frame removed? Their previous generation of engines had blackened wheel wipers which used some sort of shiny, slippery metal. If you're looking to unload this, PM me. I'd like to see what I can do with it.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 11:26:21 PM »
Thanks, Mark!!

I may wait for them to go on blow out clearance -- so, I won't feel to bad about removing the sound decoder and replacing it with one of my choice. For the SP version -- I have no idea why Bachmann added the winterization thing -- I have yet to see one in a prototype photo -- not to say it didn't happen. If it did -- it would be beyond rare. SP generally did not use them. OH well -- would be a quick and easy fix. As well as adding the usual light package. But, I am getting way ahead of myself -- this is assuming I actually purchase a few of these. Yes - I'm torn. As Cadillacs are one my favorite locomotives -- Bachmann - not so much. Factory installed DCC --- even less so.

Wolf
the only SP EMD's that I can think of that had a winterization hatch were some ex demo GP20's

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 06:06:11 AM »
Thanks for the review. Can you take a photo of the trucks/wheels with the side frame removed? Their previous generation of engines had blackened wheel wipers which used some sort of shiny, slippery metal. If you're looking to unload this, PM me. I'd like to see what I can do with it.

Here you go -

While I had things apart, I noticed that there was a fair amount of gear lube sprayed around outside the gear box. So, I took an alcohol-soaked mini-brush and cleaned the wipers and wheelbacks (the brush wound up pitch black). It seems to run quite well now, so perhaps that was the magic bullet? I'm going to try running it around in circles on and off throughout the day, so we'll see.

Daniel, I don't plan on hanging on to it once I've finished with testing, so feel free to make me an offer I can't refuse :D

-Mark

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 06:40:43 AM »
From that picture it looks like the wheel wipers are not adjusted correctly. Looks like a simple fix but something one shouldn't have to do out of the box.

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 06:50:44 AM »
They're a little loose, so they kind of go where they want to. But it doesn't look like they'd ever lose contact with the wheelbacks.

-Mark