Author Topic: My 1st LokSound Select Micro installations/Kato AC4400CW/ES44AC  (Read 3248 times)

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
Re: My 1st LokSound Select Micro installations/Kato AC4400CW/ES44AC
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 05:09:52 PM »
Thank you Steve and Pete. 

I've looked at getting an ESU programmer, but I've been told it will not directly interface with the Mac.  However, at the National Train Show just a few weeks ago, the ESU representative told me they were working on a solution.

I will definitely look into the chokes for the circuit as I'm sure I will be looking into programming at some point.

Thank you for the additional information on the speaker box.  I made both boxes just large enough to enclose the speaker.  I will rebuild the speaker box and follow your suggested volume recommendations.  I imagine I have enough space under the board for new speaker box and capacitors.  I can now see how a double sided board would be helpful.

Thanks again.  I appreciate any suggestions.

Hi again.
I was looking at your video again in a frame by frame way to try to ascertain if you removed the motor cradle fwd sockets when you modified/milled the frame to fit the decoder in.  I still can’t quite see if those top fwd cradle tabs are still actually Positively located as designed. That is, do they still clip onto some remaining frame.
I Personally avoid removing any of these motor cradle clip sockets completely as it can but not always mess with the motor and drive shaft alignment and cause drive train noise.  On this loco there is a universal in the drive train so it may not have any negative impact like it often does on those without Universal joints.

Just something to consider.
Steve

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »
I really dislike the today's trend to move your data and applications to the cloud (even though I fully realize that there are many benefits of this arrangement).  I like to at least feel that I "own" the software I purchase by having it completely installed on my computer.  Adobe, Microsoft, and many others are moving to the web-based computing. I know that we will eventually be assimilated, but for now I run my apps locally and like to keep it that way.  :)

I’m with you Pete on web based / cloud applications.  I find them a pain because of the speed or lack of it.  My work is on this bandwagon too.  I actually made a wait time log for this for a typical weeks work with a mix of 50/50 on hardwired lan and wireless in the field work and then interpolated that to represent a typical work year and found the total wait time was equal to almost 20 lost time hours over the year.  I might add I did all that in the wait times. 😁

I approached one our IT gurus on this and said I suggest we upgrade to win98 SE.  BTW he wasn’t born when that came out😆
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:02:55 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 06:16:37 PM »

I approached one our IT gurus on this and said I suggest we upgrade to win98 SE.  BTW he wasn’t born when that came out😆

LOL,that is pretty funny, and sad at the same time.
Time marches forward, and our dependence on computer technology seems to be increasing exponentially with the passing of time. Well, until the "big reset" comes.  Then it will be like the Mad Max movies (but that is still few generations away).  And I mean human generations, not Microsoft Windows.  :D

I remember back around y2k we were all pondering the other "big bad date", 2038  (32-bit Unix end of time).  But we all thought that by then Unix would have been replaced by some more modern OS.  20 more years to go. If we are still around (and floating in some cloud) , it will be interesting to see what transpires.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 07:37:50 PM »
Ok, I'm ready to try my ham-fisted attempt at adding a 'keep-alive' circuit to my installation(s).  I've read a lot of prior posts on the subject but unless I misunderstood, the latest trend is to use Polymer Tantalum capacitors, please correct me if needed.  I've got a basket at Mouser loaded with a few AVX Poly Tantalum 220uf 20v and 220uf 25v capacitors.  Oh, do the capacitors need to be baked if not used right away to drive off moisture?

I recognize that I need to get the capacitors in parallel and I've seen some very nice methods of mounting the capacitors in that configuration in members posts.

Next, and where it gets foggy for me is the zener diode and resistor(s) required. 

It appears to me that in some cases the zener/resistor are used with the capacitors and sometimes they are not.  I could be overlooking some details.

My track voltage is around 12v on a NCE system as measured by a RRampMeter if that helps define my power source.

I know I've asked a lot of questions and value your input.
I would be careful when ever you add caps to the LokSoud and try to set them up on thier programmer.

I have lost ( destroyed) two decoders doing that.   Using Decoder Pro seems to work OK.
I got some programming done and then the decoder went south, never to work again.

wbgx

• Respect: +3
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »
Hi again.
I was looking at your video again in a frame by frame way to try to ascertain if you removed the motor cradle fwd sockets when you modified/milled the frame to fit the decoder in.  I still can’t quite see if those top fwd cradle tabs are still actually Positively located as designed. That is, do they still clip onto some remaining frame.
I Personally avoid removing any of these motor cradle clip sockets completely as it can but not always mess with the motor and drive shaft alignment and cause drive train noise.  On this loco there is a universal in the drive train so it may not have any negative impact like it often does on those without Universal joints.

Just something to consider.

It was close and I had the same concerns as yours but the motor cradle sockets were saved. 

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 04:08:01 PM »
Thanks that’s really good to know.
 I’m actually commencing another install in a c40-9w. I’ve done one of these before and posted same.  I put the 73800 decoder in back and speaker up front on that one..  This time I’m looking at doing it a bit different. Either like yours with the 73800 up front or with a 73100 long narrow board.
I’m leaning to the 73100 for a number of reasons including keeping backwards compatibility so if I want I can remove all the sound decoder arrangement for another project and fit back the original dc board so I can move the loco on to someone else.
Steve

wbgx

• Respect: +3
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »
I would be careful when ever you add caps to the LokSoud and try to set them up on thier programmer.

I have lost ( destroyed) two decoders doing that.   Using Decoder Pro seems to work OK.
I got some programming done and then the decoder went south, never to work again.

Good to know.  I'll need to figure out a disconnect.  Thank you for the heads up.