Author Topic: Get Ready to Buy New Design Covered Hoppers  (Read 1068 times)

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +538
Re: Get Ready to Buy New Design Covered Hoppers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 12:33:01 PM »
I knew the aerowedge was developed at BYU which really puts a conundrum on me. BYU and University of Utah are big rivals. I'm a big Utah football fan and diss on byu football. Why did my fav railroad have to team up with the school I'm not found of and developed something of worth  :RUEffinKiddingMe: :RUEffinKiddingMe: :facepalm:
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:49:08 PM »
Why did my fav railroad have to team up with the school I'm not found of and developed something of worth  :RUEffinKiddingMe: :RUEffinKiddingMe: :facepalm:

I heard over the years that there's a lot of investment in UP by members of the Mormon church.  With investment comes influence.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +538
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
I heard over the years that there's a lot of investment in UP by members of the Mormon church.  With investment comes influence.
It goes back to the golden spike. There's a book about the 40 years it took to build the Salt Lake Temple and an excerpt is on Utahrails

"The temple was constructed of gray granite taken from a mountain of that enduring material in Little Cottonwood Canyon, twenty miles southeast of Salt Lake City. Many of the blocks of granite in the walls are so large that four yoke of oxen were required to haul each of them, occupying four days in transit. This process of hauling rock by ox teams, from the quarry to the Temple site, was so slow and expensive that President Young decided to have a canal made to carry the rock by boats. Accordingly, the canal was dug, at great cost, from the mouth of the Canyon across the bench land to an outlet in City Creek, near Temple block. But in 1873, before the canal was sufficiently completed to be made available for the main purpose in view, a line of railway was laid which supplanted this contemplated use of the canal. (Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 14, p.415)

The entrance of the Union Pacific Railway into Utah, in 1868, served temporarily to ******** the work on the Temple, as the call for laborers on the great trans-continental line was deemed imperative. Eventually, however, the activity in railroad construction operated as a great assistance in the undertaking; for, to the main line, branches succeeded; and, by 1873, a side line had reached the granite quarries. From the city station a track was constructed up South Temple Street, and into Temple Block. (James E. Talmage, The House of the Lord, p.122 - p.123)"
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader