Author Topic: Post-Bestine Issue  (Read 5086 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Post-Bestine Issue
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2018, 09:56:18 PM »
Once again — Bestine does not harm FUD/FXD in any degree, regardless of how long the resin is exposed to it. I’ve left parts soaking for weeks because I forgot about them, and there never has been any adverse effect. The only time I’ve encountered soft sticky parts is when it is not fully cured. Note that the parts would be sticky before any cleaning attempts. Take pics and complain loudly to Shapeways until they render usable parts.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5476
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 09:57:41 PM »
Acetone will screw it up if you leave it in too long. I would only do it for 1-2 minutes max.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4531
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
You all may find this interesting or amusing.

I just received an item printed in "Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic", it was a bit pricey but I wanted to check out this media that I had no experience with. It looked real good and definitely did not look like a track team ran over it with cleats on. That has been my experience with FUD. So, it looked good and was not opaque and I sent an e-mail to Shapeways customer service and asked if I should clean it in Bestine or something else. I did get a prompt reply from a young lady and she said I should wash in warm dishwasher soap and let soak for up to 6 hours. If that does not seem to work I could put it in acetone for no more than approx. 6 minutes and then wash in hot soapy water. I did not try that as I am skeptic about using acetone. Might be OK ? ? ?

I did not care for the acetone idea but used hot Dawn/water and let soak for several hours. It did not look any different from the beginning but I painted it anyway and so far so good. It never felt oily or soft. Maybe it is the material used ?

Carl

I would be very careful with acetone.  I have left a thin FUD-printed part in acetone for several minutes and it softened the part to the point that it broke really easily.  If you decide to use acetone (which is a strong solvent and degreasing agent), I would not leave the part in it for more than a minute (or even less time).  Too bad that neither the manufacturer of the printers and resin, nor Shapeways do not have an "official" way to clean the wax off completely.  Bestine (Heptane) works well and has been proven time and time again by many modelers using it. I would stick (no pun intended) with it for cleaning the printed items. 

What type of paint did you use on that dawn-cleaned part?
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 10:23:17 PM »
Shapeways should be able to produce fully cured parts for you. HOWEVER ... I have used Mr Surfacer primer on sticky parts I’ve received in order to make tgem usable.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +486
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »

Thanks for the comments. I did not go the acetone route as I was surprised the customer service rep would suggest it. She did post a link for instructions for cleaning posted on "Rail-N-Scale" web page.

Pete - All I had was a rattle can of Rust Oleum grey auto primer. I put two coats on last Sunday, inside and out, and will wet sand with 1,000 grit paper today and top of with a gloss coat for applying the UP decals.

This is the item.......

This thing does not have to be perfect, as it is a shipping container.

Thanks for looking,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2018, 05:27:36 PM »
Thanks Carl.
I'm curious just how well the primer adhered to the surface. But that would require you trying to scratch (with your fingernail?) the primer off few areas (an area which had wax against it and another area which was printed without wax support).  However I have feeling that this  is not something you wish to do (as it could mean a repaint).
. . . 42 . . .

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »

Pete, I do not mind a re-paint and after what I have done that is a requirement. In the image there is some bubble looking stuff in the joint of the base and the wall of the container. So, I stuck it into my Bestine for 4 hours and when I removed it the paint was peeling off and it will require a re-paint.  I will have to wet sand the hell out of it but maybe the striated look will disappear. I enjoy the challenge now.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 09:07:22 PM »
Pete, I do not mind a re-paint and after what I have done that is a requirement. In the image there is some bubble looking stuff in the joint of the base and the wall of the container. So, I stuck it into my Bestine for 4 hours and when I removed it the paint was peeling off and it will require a re-paint.  I will have to wet sand the hell out of it but maybe the striated look will disappear. I enjoy the challenge now.

Carl

I was wondering how the paint was adhering after your original wax removal (hot water and Dawn as recommended by Shapeways), but it sounds like you already stripped the primer.
. . . 42 . . .

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2018, 09:24:47 PM »
+2
 Pete, I learned one thing about this project and that is to not ask Shapeways customer service how to do cleaning.

The primer I put on never seemed to dry as it stayed tacky and was bubbling, as seen in the above images. I was sure that the soapy water did not clean the wax, as needed, and would cause problem down the road. So I used my #11 knife and carefully peeled/scraped the primer off. I wet sanded with 1,000 grit w/d several times and then I soaked the darned thing in Bestine for 24 hours and it became frosted which indicated the item was not cleaned and probably not cured properly in the beginning.

At any rate below are two images of my completed piece..........................

The car serves a purpose as well. I transplanted a Rocco slider set up into the well car................

It turned out Ok, now I need to weather it a tad.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2018, 01:02:50 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Carl. The model looks great (even if the modeled object is a bit ugly IMO).
. . . 42 . . .