Author Topic: New Run Atlas C-630s with DCC Sound  (Read 4288 times)

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
Re: New Run Atlas C-630s with DCC Sound
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »
Yeah, until they break.  I know, I know  - they don't break.  :)

Seriously though, factory installed wires are generally poorly installed.  Starting with nicking the copper conductors when the insulation is stripped weakens the wire.  Then they are haphazardly soldered (since the assemblers are in a rush).  They also have no strain relief which would make them more immune to breaking (usually at the location where insulation ends, where they are weakened by stripping insulation).

Here is an example of factory installed wire (BLI Cantipede).  This loco was test run only then disassembled by me.

As you can see the solder joints are not very good and if left in this condition would eventually fracture and break where the insulation ends. Also note the green residue - they likely used acidic flux which will further weaken the copper wire.  Not to mention that the blob of solder is actually pushing the plastic sideframe piece outwards not allowing the pickup plate to seat properly in it.

I used this specific model because I already had it sitting disassembled on a shelf next to my workbench.  But I could pretty much dig up any model which has factory soldered pickup wires, and they will look just as bad, or worse.  I bet that if I had one of the new Atlas C-630s, their solder joints would be just as nasty.

When I service locos with wire harnesses, I always re-do the solder joints.  I trim the wire ends to get to a pristine section of wire, strip them with a thermal stripper (it melts the insulation instead of cutting through and nicking the wire), and I carefully solder the joints.  If possible, I also install some sort of strain-relief.  If you are as fastidious as I am with wire feeders then I'm not surprised that they do not break.  But most molders will not be redoing the factory made solder joints. So, they will eventually fail.  That is why I do not like factory-installed feeder wires.

Yeah, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

John C.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 08:46:25 AM »
The Atlas model I saw looked nothing like that.  The wires were protected where they exited the frame, and the solder joints to the tabs on the trucks looked very well done.  I made a point of checking that because I knew it could be an Achilles heel for this design approach.

I am willing to give this approach hte benefit of hte doubt and see how it fares.  i have to go this route for a few locos I am modelling with narrow fuel tanks, where the strips have to  go.

Tim

Can you post some pictures?  I'm just curious, not doubting you at all.

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
+1
My issue with a preorder from the manufacturer is that you pay full MSRP. yet if they run them and you purchase through Kleins or other shops you get it for below MSRP.  I wouldn't mind grabbing an NS from Scale trains to help them out, but I don't want to pay MSRP.
While that's the case with most manufacturers, Scale Trains sells direct for the same price offered by MB Klein. So, at least where they're concerned, you're not paying more to reserve directly from them.

Chris
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »
Hi
I have used a method that allows modifications to the fuel tank area and maintains the contact strips.  It requires a modification to the existing contact strips and may even be useful in improving the Life-Like SW pick-ups, though I haven't tried it on one of these.  This is a link to the thread from 6 years ago!
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=27156.msg283097#msg283097

Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 06:18:45 PM »
Hi
I have used a method that allows modifications to the fuel tank area and maintains the contact strips.  It requires a modification to the existing contact strips and may even be useful in improving the Life-Like SW pick-ups, though I haven't tried it on one of these.  This is a link to the thread from 6 years ago!

Steve

That is an excellent solution.  This is also something that could easily be etched from Phosphor Bronze for even easier retrofit.  Bryan from Streamlined Backshop already makes and sells a large selection of etched electric pickup wipers. Maybe he would be interesting into etching and selling this pickup strips.
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 06:42:55 AM »
+1
Hi

Steve

That is not unlike how Athearn does the pickup strips on their SD7X's -

-Mark

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2018, 07:51:32 AM »

Atlas has consistently run and apparently done well with several lower modeled roads, terminal lines and short lines.  (I also wanted a sound equipped Alco 630 for Minn Commercial, but apparently those didn't get enough pre-orders, because they only came in DC.  I had to buy one of those and another sound chassis to get what I want.  An expensive pain, but not the end of the world.)

If this is what you wanted Atlas did manufacture sound equipped ones?
SBS
N Atlas Alco "Century" C630 Minnesota Commercial #73 w/ ESU LokSound DCC & Sound
MSRP: $239.95
Price: $191.96
You Save: $47.99

[ 1 ] pcs In Stock

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
What went to the hobby shops was interesting.  MBKlein's only got a few sound equipped units that showed on their site.  BLW didn't have the full list that Atlas published either.  I had my supplier look for undecorated units and none were available. I ended up with one WNY&P (Which I wanted) and 7 DMIR units.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
If this is what you wanted Atlas did manufacture sound equipped ones?
SBS
N Atlas Alco "Century" C630 Minnesota Commercial #73 w/ ESU LokSound DCC & Sound
MSRP: $239.95
Price: $191.96
You Save: $47.99

[ 1 ] pcs In Stock

Apparently.  I guess the online stores I frequent just didn't order any.  What store is SBS?

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2018, 11:11:23 AM »
Apparently.  I guess the online stores I frequent just didn't order any.  What store is SBS?

Streamlined BackShop

http://store.sbs4dcc.com/NAtlasAlcoCenturyC630MinnesotaCommercial73w/ESULokSoundDCCand.aspx
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566