Author Topic: Atlas shipping GP39-2!!  (Read 3447 times)

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Atlas shipping GP39-2!!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »
A street price increase of 14$(at MBK, compared to recent release GP38-2s) is a pretty big jump up, considering I'm not getting any improvements over the old mech...In fact, the wires may prove to be worse, maybe not...

Wow,  $14  :facepalm: IMO we are getting improvements, the mech is very easy to disassemble and work on , much easier than the original.  The wires are a piece of cake to remove from the frame. I could go on but your not going to purchase one anyway!   

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 04:39:09 PM »
OK, not just a speaker, but a whole bunch of stuff that I really don't want :|   :facepalm:

If I wanted a sound equipped unit, I'd just buy one. Personally, it's the bass frequencies I enjoy about trains, and N scale diesels (and other larger scales) just don't cut it for me. In general, I find the sounds from scale locos quite annoying.

Actually, I don't think I'm going to buy one now. If shells become available, then maybe one will find its way to me..But I don't need or want the things they want us to pay extra for...

I have two GP38s I'd love to have sound in, but I don't want to go through the mess of hard wiring since the new mechanism mostly does that for me.  I'd be interested in knowing if the shells can be swapped.  If so, I'd happily pay $14 trade mechanisms.   
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 05:26:26 PM »

I have two GP38s I'd love to have sound in, but I don't want to go through the mess of hard wiring since the new mechanism mostly does that for me.  I'd be interested in knowing if the shells can be swapped.  If so, I'd happily pay $14 trade mechanisms.   

I would happily do that, but I decided against buying one of these, for now at least, and made an HOn30 purchase instead... ;)

Not sure if I understand it. What exactly do you mean but the "current state of Atlas and N scale"?
If you expect deep bass sound, H0 doesn't really have that either. Neither does 0 scale.  Personally I thing we have the best of times fo N scale. Better than anything in the past.  I mean we now have more products available now than ever before, and generally the best running models ever.  Sure, there are more products in H0 (there probably always will be), but these are still the best of times in N.  I might gripe about certain designs, quality, or fidelity of some new models, but I also realize that N scalers are very lucky with what we have.

Whatever I choose to do,(onboard) sound will not be a factor. Yes, N scale is pretty good these days.

My comment was referring to that fact that Atlas basically owns or produces most N scale products that I want/need to use , but they seem focused on sound locos currently.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »

My comment was referring to that fact that Atlas basically owns or produces most N scale products that I want/need to use , but they seem focused on sound locos currently.

Thanks for the explanation.
Unfortunately (for DC-only modelers), looking at the trend, DCC and DCC-sound are here to stay (and the market penetration will get deeper and deeper).  If you look at the big picture, it s not just Atlas. Bachmann is going all-DCC. How about BLI, IM, Scale Trains, MRC/Model Power?  Do they even offer straight DC N scale models anymore?  Kato (for some unknown reason, since it is usually one of the innovators) is still making DC models. Um, FVM is still producing DC models too.
. . . 42 . . .

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 10:03:39 PM »
Not sure if I understand it. What exactly do you mean but the "current state of Atlas and N scale"?
If you expect deep bass sound, HO doesn't really have that either. Neither does O scale.  ...

(Thread drift alert...)

O scale locomotives have plenty of space for generating realistic bass sound.  I've heard some impressive ones, and didn't even think they sounded optimized.  If there's a lack of excellent sound quality in O I think it can be overcome with better sound engineering.  (Note: I mean sound engineering, not physical modifications so much.)  HO and particularly N face insurmountable physical limitations by comparison.   

Nevertheless, I did just order two N GP39-2s with sound!

(One of these days maybe I'll brush off my sound design skills and take a stab at improving sound quality In N as much as possible.  It is possible to get the raw sound files from ESU and edit them, right?)

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 10:32:27 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.
Unfortunately (for DC-only modelers), looking at the trend, DCC and DCC-sound are here to stay (and the market penetration will get deeper and deeper).  If you look at the big picture, it s not just Atlas. Bachmann is going all-DCC. How about BLI, IM, Scale Trains, MRC/Model Power?  Do they even offer straight DC N scale models anymore?  Kato (for some unknown reason, since it is usually one of the innovators) is still making DC models. Um, FVM is still producing DC models too.
I ok with DCC models, and understand it's where they think the hobby is. As an interesting aside, the only MFR you mentioned whose products I own is Bachmann, though I did own some IM Fs at one time.

I did expect a price increase due to the new design, but thought they'd find a better approach than passing on the cost of sound onto non sound users too. Ultimately, the "silver" version is not operationally any different or improved than the old non-DCC version. And don't get me started on the incorrect fuel tanks size required now that the speaker is in the fuel tank. :x

But worse things have happened , and I'm glad to see these finally come to N scale.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 11:21:14 PM »
(Thread drift alert...)

O scale locomotives have plenty of space for generating realistic bass sound.  I've heard some impressive ones, and didn't even think they sounded optimized.  If there's a lack of excellent sound quality in O I think it can be overcome with better sound engineering.  (Note: I mean sound engineering, not physical modifications so much.)  HO and particularly N face insurmountable physical limitations by comparison.   

Nevertheless, I did just order two N GP39-2s with sound!

(One of these days maybe I'll brush off my sound design skills and take a stab at improving sound quality In N as much as possible.  It is possible to get the raw sound files from ESU and edit them, right?)

Sure, well designed sound system in an 0 scale model will produce sound magnitudes better than anything N scale, but as I understand (judging by what he wrote), coosvalley is looking for something with some real authority.  I suspect that the BLI's Sound of Thunder with a sub-woofer might satisfy him.  :)

Sure, it might be possible to slightly improve the N scale sound by tweaking the sound files, but then there is only so much rich low frequency sound you can get out of a speaker cone which is less than 1" square, can only deflect about 1/16", and is rated for 0.5W.
. . . 42 . . .

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 01:34:14 AM »
I understand the position.  Personally, I'd rather have a tiny sounding 100 car train than a massive sounding 1 car train.  8)

https://i.imgur.com/wX7sevY.jpg

N Scale sound may be a little bit acquired taste.  Maybe it's also a little bit of not knowing what a properly tuned sound equipped unit sounds like.  I noticed recently at the National Train Show, I could only stand to run trains with at least one sound unit.  Even in the noisy show atmosphere which drowns out 95% of N Scale sound, running a non-sound equipped train just felt naked. 

Its a similar comparison when you look at a Kato ES44.  On its own, sure it looks great.  Put it next to a Scale Trains T4 Gevo, it looks completely naked of detail. 
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
coosvalley is looking for something with some real authority.  I suspect that the BLI's Sound of Thunder with a sub-woofer might satisfy him.  :)

I sort of agree with you. I do like the idea behind the Rolling Thunder system. IF it worked with, say ESU decoders, I would be all over that. But BLI doesn't make anything I like, or can justify owning (the M1s are nice).

So I'm looking at the Kato sound box as a solution. It's still not the perfect solution, but since they do make 567 and 645 sounds, thats covers a good portion of things I own. A 16 cylinder 567 probably sounds more "exciting" than what's inside an SW1, but still close enough, for me anyway. Plus it is my favorite of all loco sounds. But it's perfect for a Geep 7/9s of which I have quite a few.

However, I can't imagine a room full of bass heavy loco sounds all trying to run in that same room either, that would be equally annoying/distracting. So I think there is room for both styles of sound systems.