Author Topic: Looking For Help With Some U.S. Road Box Cars  (Read 4801 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +939
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Looking For Help With Some U.S. Road Box Cars
« on: August 15, 2018, 02:46:57 AM »
Home road cars were predominant on the British Columbia Railway, particularly after 1975, but I do need a few other road freight cars.  Having sourced a number of other road Canadian freight cars, I would now like to obtain a few U.S. road cars which may have been seen visiting northern British Columbia in the late 1970s.  I am wondering if some of the modellers here for specific U.S. roads might be able to assist with suggesting suitable models for the following, as I do not have access to ORER sections for these roads, nor suitable reference books.

1.  The following CB&Q 47452 50' Double Door Box Car was photographed at Fort St. John in 1977:

Can someone identify the builder for me?
Can someone suggest a suitable model in N Scale?
If not available RTR, are decals available?

2.  I would like to have a suitable Milwaukee Road 50' Double Door or Plug & Sliding Door Box Car.  (Most cars sent to the BCR were double door cars so they could take lumber home, but most photos of Milwaukee cars I have seen were single door.)

Can someone suggest a suitable car series?

3.  The following Penn Central 267472 50' Double Door Box Car was photographed at Fort St. John in 1978.  It seems to be lettered the reverse of what I have seen in photos with name and number at left and herald at right.  Looks to be a 10'-0" inside height car?

4.  This St. Lawrence Railroad NSL 101256 Box Car was photographed at Fort St. John in 1977.  Exactrail did a car in this scheme at one point but it is not the correct car.  NARC will be releasing this scheme on their forthcoming 5077 car but it is also a different prototype.  I may settle for the NARC car as it will have the door closer which is a neat detail, but am just wondering if there is anything closer.  This is a USRE built car - is there a structural match in N Scale?

5.  I would like to have a suitable Union Pacific 50' Double Door or Plug a& Sliding Door Box Car.  in the aluminium and yellow scheme with map in the box logo.

Again, we are talking 1977 or thereabouts, and I am looking for reasonably accurate models.

Any help appreciated,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:53:35 AM by BCR 570 »
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +672
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Looking For Help With Some U.S. Road Box Cars
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 03:00:35 AM »

1.  The following CB&Q 47452 50' Double Door Box Car was photographed at Fort St. John in 1977:

Shop built in 1963 class XM-3B.  Nothing even close in N. 

Jason

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:43 AM »
Athearn did the NSL/St. Lawrence scheme on a SIECO boxcar, which I think is close. It does not have the door opener however.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:13:30 PM »
Athearn did the NSL/St. Lawrence scheme on a SIECO boxcar, which I think is close. It does not have the door opener however.

*edit* Nevermind, just read Tim's original post regarding the ExactRail car

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +518
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:19:09 PM »
A reasonable stand in for the CB&Q car could be had from an Athearn/MDC PS Double Door car.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1223
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:55:02 PM »
3.  The following Penn Central 267472 50' Double Door Box Car was photographed at Fort St. John in 1978.  It seems to be lettered the reverse of what I have seen in photos with name and number at left and herald at right.  Looks to be a 10'-0" inside height car?

PC 267472 is former NYC 40806, built by subsidiary Despatch Shops, series NYC 40700-40999 XL.  IL 10'6".  The NYC lot# is in the lower-right corner, in half-shadow and fuzzy - it may be legible on your original photo.  This PC scheme actually is the more common arrangement for 50' cars, with the name/number on the left and herald on the right.  Sadly there is nothing in N that comes close to this home-built prototype.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:59:24 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +374
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 01:15:02 AM »
+1
Home road cars were predominant on the British Columbia Railway, particularly after 1975, but I do need a few other road freight cars.  Having sourced a number of other road Canadian freight cars, I would now like to obtain a few U.S. road cars which may have been seen visiting northern British Columbia in the late 1970s.  I am wondering if some of the modellers here for specific U.S. roads might be able to assist with suggesting suitable models for the following, as I do not have access to ORER sections for these roads, nor suitable reference books.

2.  I would like to have a suitable Milwaukee Road 50' Double Door or Plug & Sliding Door Box Car.  (Most cars sent to the BCR were double door cars so they could take lumber home, but most photos of Milwaukee cars I have seen were single door.)

Again, we are talking 1977 or thereabouts, and I am looking for reasonably accurate models.
The Micro-Trains 33100 (made in 1985 and again in 1995) is a MILW 50' Plug & Sliding Door Box Car.

Here's a photo of a similar car taken in 1977:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/milw/milw12550amf.jpg

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 01:49:33 AM »
For a CB&Q double door car the IM model is close to some of the earlier series, in various groups in the 8000s and 9000s. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2441
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »

I have one. I can be talked out of it.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »
A reasonable stand in for the CB&Q car could be had from an Athearn/MDC PS Double Door car.

Con-Cor is a closer match:

http://www.spookshow.net/freight/cc50ddauto.html

cjm413

• Crew

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +939
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »
Thank you all for your help; much appreciated!

Thank you Bryan; I have seen this model and it is not a bad one so will try and get one.

The Micro-Trains 33100 (made in 1985 and again in 1995) is a MILW 50' Plug & Sliding Door Box Car.

Perfect!  Thank you  for your post and for including the prototype photo; looks like it still had a running board in 1977 so no mods needed.

Looks like I am SOL on the PC car.

Thank you for the various suggestions on the NSL car; I think I will wait for the NARC car which promises to be very good.  Might get one of their early RBOX cars too.

The UP outside post car looks a little new for 1977; I found a Micro-Trains DD car in the aluminum and yellow scheme UP 300265 - don't know if it is a reasonable stand-in for that car number or not, and don't know if it still had a running board.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »
Thank you all for your help; much appreciated!

Thank you Bryan; I have seen this model and it is not a bad one so will try and get one.

Perfect!  Thank you  for your post and for including the prototype photo; looks like it still had a running board in 1977 so no mods needed.

Thank you for the various suggestions on the NSL car; I think I will wait for the NARC car which promises to be very good.  Might get one of their early RBOX cars too.

The UP outside post car looks a little new for 1977; I found a Micro-Trains DD car in the aluminum and yellow scheme UP 300265 - don't know if it is a reasonable stand-in for that car number or not, and don't know if it still had a running board.

Tim

Are you looking.to match the NSL car in the picture or buy a more accurate model of a different NSL car?

The Exactrail model is a better match for.the car in the photo that you provided.   The NARC PS 5077 will be accurate for NSL, but it's a totally different car:

For the UP double door car, there are two problems with the MTL car:

1) The prototype is not a PS-1

2) Even if it was a PS-1, the dimensions of the MTL PS-1 are off where you'd be better off with the MDC/Athearn model.   Either MRC or Con-Cor once offered their 50' double-door box (better match) in UP aluminum and yellow.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 09:51:27 PM »
Shop built in 1963 class XM-3B.  Nothing even close in N. 

Jason

There are, however, these in the CBQ 47000 series preceeding:  this list gives Era  Route car# type home logo description&comment owner=me, date_acquired(by me), model-mfg., mfg_stock# front-couplers car-length back-couplers.

I appear to have duplicates of the Atlas 36344 (but have no clue where these are since we've moved.  Let me know if you want me to go look?)

1950 era   CBQ   47009   Box   XM   Chicago   Cushion Underframe   Box 50' DD / Cushion Underframe   PAL   Jul-07   Atlas   36334   Micro   50   Micro      1 of 2            
   1950 era   CBQ   47009   Box   XM   Chicago   Cushion Underframe   Box 50' DD / Cushion Underframe   PAL   Jul-07   Atlas   36334   Micro   50   Micro      2 of 2            
   1950 era   CBQ   47060   Box   XM   Chicago   Cushion Underframe   Box 50' DD / Cushion Underframe   PAL   Aug-05   Roundhouse   82012   sm   50   sm                  
   1950 era   CBQ   47066   Box   XM   Chicago   Cushion Underframe   Box 50' DD / Cushion Underframe   PAL   Jul-07   Roundhouse   81910   Micro   50   Micro                  
   1950 era   CBQ   47099   Box   XM   Chicago   Cushion Underframe   Box 50' DD / Cushion Underframe   PAL   Jul-07   Atlas   36404a   Micro   50   Micro                  
Regards,
Paul

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +374
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 10:42:37 PM »
That could depend upon how close enough is good enough for you.

One option would be to repaint and decal a Micro-Trains 37000-series car.
Here's what one looks like in NYC:

You would probably want to cut down the ladders.

Microscale has a PC decal set #60-1096:

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60-1096

(Of course by 1977 we're already into the Conrail era.)