Author Topic: JMRI Virtual Sound Decoder (VSD)  (Read 1833 times)

conrad

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
JMRI Virtual Sound Decoder (VSD)
« on: August 08, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
Does anyone have info on additional .vsd files other than the five given in JMRI: DRG steam, generic steam, EMD 645 turbo, GE 7FDL and EMD NW2?  I've seen some hints on the web but no concrete data.

I have seven "sound" locos plus a sound car that I use but nothing beats sitting next to my Home Depot hollow core door layout and hearing the GE 7FDL diesel rumble through my stereo system.  I've even thought of using a programmable sound decoder (Digitrax or ESU) as a stationary one connected to the sound system but that only gives me one loco at a time.  It also would be inconvienent to program a new prime mover every time I changed locos.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7964
    • Conrail 1285
Re: JMRI Virtual Sound Decoder (VSD)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »
Yessir.
I played around with them quite a bit.

http://conrail1285.com/getting-started-with-jmri-virtual-sound-decoders/

The format is pretty interesting. A VSD is essentially just a zip file of the component sounds and an XML mapping. Make a copy of the existing one, rename it .zip, and expand it to see what I'm talking about.

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »
yes ed i've been to your site.  funny thing is my railroad, as you can guess from my name, is also CONRAIL.  it was an easy choice back in 1990 when i started in n scale.  i must have 30 or more of the little blue monsters.

i not sure you actually released any additional files.

unfortunately, i can't  rename file to .zip.  all i get in rename is ****.zip.vsd.  i computer savvy but not file savvy:(

and one more thing: as an old geezer, i'm having trouble copying the verification letters. i can do the math problem at the bottom though:)

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
duh.  must be losing it.  all i had to do to change .vsd to .zip was to unblock the "hidden extension" tab in preferences.

sorry about that

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7964
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:22:31 PM »
duh.  must be losing it.  all i had to do to change .vsd to .zip was to unblock the "hidden extension" tab in preferences.

sorry about that

Haha, no worries!

And yes, you're correct. I never sorted the licensing out for the source files so I haven't shared them publicly. However, a PM is incoming momentarily.