Author Topic: Making a sound baffle?  (Read 1271 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Making a sound baffle?
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:34:33 PM »
Anyone have a how-to on making a sound baffle for sugar cube speakers? I'm mostly interested in how the speaker is glued to the baffle itself.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
Re: Making a sound baffle?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »
Anyone have a how-to on making a sound baffle for sugar cube speakers? I'm mostly interested in how the speaker is glued to the baffle itself.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31311.0

John C.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Making a sound baffle?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
Daniel:

I did not build baffles as such; what is needed is simply some space for resonance below the speaker within the enclosure.  I followed John’s instructions and have been very pleased with the sound quality; many people have commented that they sound better than typical factory installations.

I held off sound for years because I thought the quality would never be good enough.  During my last op session the most frequent topic of conversation was how good the two latest installs (an Atlas C-420 and a Hobbycraft Canada/Briggs Models Alco C-425) sounded, and how well they ran ( thanks to ESU’s superior motor control and an increase to 440 in capacitance).  These two engines also use some of ESU’s latest sound files.  Also turned the volume down to 74% which is better.

These latest conversions have set the bar for where the rest of the fleet needs to be for enjoyable performance during an operating session.  It’s a great time to be in N Scale.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ