Author Topic: Proof of concept for making tree stumps.  (Read 2078 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Proof of concept for making tree stumps.
« on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:11 PM »
+4
My logging module will have steep but relatively short drops in elevation along the track. I wanted to add realistic stumps having exposed roots into the steep ground along these areas and wanted to develop an easy fool proof way to add stumps with roots.

First I had to think of a way to make flexible "roots". I started with a round toothpick (14" diameter in 1:1) and touched a glob of hot glue onto the toothpick and slowly pulled the tip away to make a thick strand.

I held this position until the hot glue flashed (note the glue is still clear).

A second or two later, the glue went opaque and I pull the glue gun away.

Next I snip off the strand about 2-3mm away from the blob, and repeat twice more for steep ground, more as the ground approaches horizontal.

Two more roots added, and all snipped.

Toothpick partially inserted into steep surface.

Toothpick and roots pulled down to flex the roots against the incline.

In this case the stump root blob has been smoothed into the trunk with the tip of the glue gun.

This shows the roots blended into the ground using the tip of the hot glue gun. Fill the divots around the base of the stump and between the roots with white glue. This will also secure the stump.

The stump could be painted before or after installation. Here is the third stump on the right, painted and scenicked and no, I do not like my choice of adding some fine sand to the mix.

What do you think of the finished stump? I thought I'd share the idea and I'm pretty happy with the way the stump looks, and I think I will use this method

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +665
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
Re: Proof of concept for making tree stumps.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 10:50:30 PM »
+1
Nicely done

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 07:53:46 AM »
+1
Works for me.  I think it's maybe painted a little too darkly, but the shape is believable.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »
Thanks Guys.

Had Burnt Umber readily available on my desk and used that as a flier but I agree with you, it's too dark for a pine tree.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
I like them, but depending on the trees being harvested, they may be a little narrow in diameter.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »
Looks ok to me, and easy to make, but shouldn't you leave the stump's center natural wood (toothpick) color (lighter than the bark)?
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 12:45:11 PM »
Looks ok to me, and easy to make, but shouldn't you leave the stump's center natural wood (toothpick) color (lighter than the bark)?

@peteski only if recently cut.  If you notice, I made it gray-ish from weathering.  Pine usually turns gray like unfinished cedar.  These will be along the right of way implying they were cut a while ago while the right of way was expanding.  I will likely add some near the camp indicating recent clear cutting that will have a much lighter color on the cut.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
I like them, but depending on the trees being harvested, they may be a little narrow in diameter.

@Ed Kapuscinski , Agreed, but the concept can be used on any diameter dowel.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:07:24 PM by Lemosteam »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 12:52:22 PM »

@peteski only if recently cut.  If you notice, I made it gray-ish from weathering.  Pine usually turns gray like unfinished cedar.  These will be along the right of way implying they were cut a while ago while the right of way was expanding.  I will likely add some near the camp indicating recent clear cutting that will have a much lighter color on the cut.

How can it be an old stump?  You just made it few days ago!   :D  ;)

But I misspoke (like our POTUS did). What I really meant to say is that the color seemed a bit dark.  :D But someone already mentioned that, and you already explained why. It's all good. 
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 09:07:15 PM »
+2
Well, I tried again and I'm much happier with the outcome.

Have you ever tried to "cut" foam like a certain powder the portray in movies? Took me a hour just to get this bit...lol. The chunks were just too large.  Also bought some various dowels and skewers for different diameter trunks. I'll make one later. Thinking of turning that last sample into a single trunk birch stump.

@tom mann , could you move this tho the scenery category please? Sorry I posted it here.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 12:29:17 AM »
Still seem to small in diameter to bother with a harvest.  IMO.  Based on a lifetime to this point in the forestry business.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 08:08:21 AM »
Back in the 70s I needed hundreds of stumps for a layout, and found that whole cloves did the trick. Just remove the seed pod from the end, trim the top with a flush cutter, and you have a finished stump in about two seconds. No need to paint, either. Hundreds of them for next to nothing.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »
And they make the layout room smell nice!

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »
Back in the 70s I needed hundreds of stumps for a layout, and found that whole cloves did the trick. Just remove the seed pod from the end, trim the top with a flush cutter, and you have a finished stump in about two seconds. No need to paint, either. Hundreds of them for next to nothing.

Yep great idea for a pasture.  :trollface:  Try to mount them on a near vertical surface and still have the trunk be vertical.  The clove "roots" don't flex.  (this is NOT a challenge.  Knowing you, you will boil them in water and dry them at a high angle just to prove my butt wrong...).

Also @wazzou might still think the trunks on cloves are too small.

From my OP: "My logging module will have steep but relatively short drops in elevation along the track."

"And they make the layout room smell nice!"

Won't they grow mold?  :trollface: