Author Topic: Early Nn3.  (Read 5273 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
Re: Early Nn3.
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2018, 10:15:19 PM »

That car looks to also have been available with the stakes cut.

Jason

Ok, I have two bodies without the stakes but didn’t know if they were just cut off or it was molded that way.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2018, 10:15:55 PM »
The printing is probably dry transfers.  I don't know if they were available lettered but maybe someone else does.

Jason

Dry transfers.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2018, 02:02:47 AM »
CDS used to make a LOT of Colorado narrow gauge dry transfers in N.  Almost anything you could want for D&RGW, and a few other roads.  I used them on my "oldie" cars.

All of my Nn3 MT flatcars have stakes.  They may have been made without them as well, but if so, I didn't buy any, and don't remember them.

As for the Z flatcar from Nelson Gray/MT, the best N scale use I found for it was to cut it in half lengthwise, widen it a little, add a wood deck, and make truck trailer.  It makes a very nice short trailer behind a straight flatbed truck, or for a more modern layout, a "pup" to trail a longer trailer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:06:57 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »
Ok, I have two bodies without the stakes but didn’t know if they were just cut off or it was molded that way.

I was trying to be somewhat ambiguous with the word 'cut'.  It does seem like it was molded that way, but the stakes stubs are still present below the top of the deck.

Jason