Author Topic: Working with magnet wire in signal installations  (Read 3845 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: Working with magnet wire in signal installations
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »
A quick follow-up for you Mike (@C855B): are you planning to use the plug stock as a mechanical connector, or just the termination of a short pigtail from the base?

A little of both. The connectors will be press-fit within corresponding base bits. I need to put the concept into CAD and get'r done.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »
+2
Magnet wires through the benchwork is no gouda.  Definitely solder them to a base.

I ran into this problem with the BeNscale signals originally, and started futzing with the PCB base that he has you build the signal on.  That lead to the first iteration of the base with SMD resistors and transitioning from magnet wire to 24ga to run to the signal boards.

Everything documented here:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31256.60

Which lead to the Wutter and Bussey adaptations.   :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:51:19 PM by Sokramiketes »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 10:58:59 PM »
+1
Thanks Mike & Mike.  I just ordered 50 base sets from Alvin, and picked up some header strip from a local shop.  Additionally, my Showcase and RRCirKits orders are en route, so my work is cut out for me.   :lol:  :scared:

I can't explain why I find live signals to be so cool - they're just traffic lights after all.  But I do!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 09:50:18 PM »

I can't explain why I find live signals to be so cool - they're just traffic lights after all.  But I do!

Nothing wrong with your views. Operational signals add another layer of realism to the layout's appearance, and to the operations.  Plus they do look cool!  Animated (and close to scale) semaphores also look very cool when modeling earlier time period.
. . . 42 . . .

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 11:19:00 PM »
+1

You're certainly not alone.  I think it changes a layout from 'just running trains' to a more serious and interesting game/simulation-of-reality.   I mean, if you can fire someone for running a red, it makes an ops session more interesting.   ;)

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 08:57:09 PM »
@C855B Mike Do you have any online sources for the connector strips? That looks like exactly what I need. Going to order the signal bases from @Wutter

Thanks!!