Author Topic: Electromagnetic uncoupler switch  (Read 1006 times)

Allegheny

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Electromagnetic uncoupler switch
« on: July 30, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »
I'm experimenting with the Kadee #708 electromagnetic uncoupler for my N-Trak yard modules.  I want to have a timed delay switch that when activated provides power to the uncoupler for a specified length of time (so I don't burn out the electromagnet).  I also wanted to adjust the timer to uncouple the cars and allow the couplers to stay open to back up the car to be spotted.

I looked on line and found various 12volt timer relays and found an example (see attached photo).  They list out anywhere from $5 to $15.

Has anyone tried run an electromagnetic uncoupler this way?  Any electronic "Gurus" care to offer advice?

Thom
“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
― Will Rogers

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Electromagnetic uncoupler switch
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
Thom,
If that relay's electrical ratings (current and voltage) are the same or higher than what the uncoupler electromagnet needs then you should have no problems.  How does the unit work?  You feed the power supply voltage to the circuit and attach the electromagnet coil to the output?  How do you activate it?  A momentary (doorbell-like) switch? You press it and regardless of how long you hold the button down the circuit will only supply the power for a predetermined period of time?
. . . 42 . . .