Author Topic: Briggs Models MLW S13 review and build thread.  (Read 14039 times)

briggsmodels

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
Re: Briggs Models MLW S13 revue and (eventual) build thread.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
Craig, your models look great so far. I can't wait to see them finished. I liked how you soldered the handrails together off the model.

I have mostly US appeal products planned for the near future. M630 and M630W parts are just waiting for parts to arrive, then Canadian Alcos are done for a while. Next up are SDL39 kits, that's US, then GP38-2W and GP40-2W shells, which now operate all over the US. 

Thank you very much, for the great product exposure.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

For the next set of handrails I opted solder them on the fret. They are very delicate and I found with all of the handling required they got bent out of shape easily. This way worked out better.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
Craig, your models look great so far. I can't wait to see them finished. I liked how you soldered the handrails together off the model.

I have mostly US appeal products planned for the near future. M630 and M630W parts are just waiting for parts to arrive, then Canadian Alcos are done for a while. Next up are SDL39 kits, that's US, then GP38-2W and GP40-2W shells, which now operate all over the US. 

Thank you very much, for the great product exposure.

These handrails are the nicest I’ve worked with. If you ever wanted to do etched handrail kits for ??? Locos. I’d be in.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
I have never soldered etched parts before; any special materials or techniques different from electrical soldering?  One would obviously have to use a very fine tip and some fine solder.  Any issues getting solder to flow onto the parts?  I guess these are in my future if an M-630W is coming . . . . .

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
You probably should have a bunch of special stuff, but I don’t.

I use a Weller Butane iron which is too big and too hot. It does have a fine tip. I don’t even know what solder I have but I’ll check.

If I can figure out how to post a short video I’ll put one up.

These handrails are soldered from the rear so I clean the back up with a file.

Craig.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 04:54:01 PM »
+3
I have never soldered etched parts before; any special materials or techniques different from electrical soldering?  One would obviously have to use a very fine tip and some fine solder.  Any issues getting solder to flow onto the parts?  I guess these are in my future if an M-630W is coming . . . . .

Tim

Tim I made a short video for you. I’m no video producer but hopefully it answers any questions you have about the process.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:59:38 PM by craigolio1 »

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »
Although not to be used with electrical components or copper wire, a little bit of paste flux works wonders on brass.  I use one of those micro brushes, dip it in the paste flux to get just a little bit on the tip, deposit that on the area to be soldered and then apply the heat and the solder at the same time for just an instant.  I've used this method to solder 0.006" brass wire hand rails to Gold Medal Models stantions and it works great.  I then use a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water to go over the part to remove any residual flux.

Doug

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »
Although not to be used with electrical components or copper wire, a little bit of paste flux works wonders on brass.  I use one of those micro brushes, dip it in the paste flux to get just a little bit on the tip, deposit that on the area to be soldered and then apply the heat and the solder at the same time for just an instant.  I've used this method to solder 0.006" brass wire hand rails to Gold Medal Models stantions and it works great.  I then use a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water to go over the part to remove any residual flux.

Doug

I’ve done the same on GMM handrails. I prefer solder to CA since I can fine tune positioning.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 07:45:33 PM »
Thank you for the tutorial!  I have a fine cone tip for my Weller 35 which will work well in this application, and the fine solder from Fast Tracks will work well here too.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
Thank you for the tutorial!  I have a fine cone tip for my Weller 35 which will work well in this application, and the fine solder from Fast Tracks will work well here too.

Tim

Cool. Just make sure your flux is not an acid flux, or to Doug’s point wash it really well after. You’ll have to wash them anyway even with resin flux. I just got an ultra sonic cleaner I’m looking forward to trying as much find even a soft tooth brush is a hammer when I use it. Haha.

briggsmodels

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 12:49:36 AM »
Wow!! :o Here's to hoping they do some of the other Alco "S" units, like maybe an SP S6! ;)

I have been considering the ALCo S6 for a while now. The question I would have is, would modelers want a body kit to fit one of the S series models available, (Atlas, Bachmann) or an entire model, to use available drive parts?

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +888
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 12:53:10 AM »
I have been considering the ALCo S6 for a while now. The question I would have is, would modelers want a body kit to fit one of the S series models available, (Atlas, Bachmann) or an entire model, to use available drive parts?
the Bachmann would be a  decent starting  point due to the cost

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Briggs Models MLW S13 review and build thread.
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »
How about a T6 body that fits the Bachmann chassis?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 12:51:21 PM »

Great question but not easy to answer. I personally have an extra LL switcher chassis or two just laying around but that's just me. Guess it comes down to what's going to remain available to use. Would it be too difficult to offer one that uses the LL/Walthers switcher drive components like your S13 does and also offer just a shell that can perhaps fit the S2 or S3 drive? All this said, I'd be in for maybe one S6 model. So, please take what I suggest with a grain of salt. ;)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:53:21 PM by tehachapifan »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Briggs Models MLW S13 review and build thread.
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
If only I could hire you to design a PD500 etched detail kit!

BTW my P&W M420s are coming along nicely. I may add Loksound to them.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away