Author Topic: No Longer With Shapeways: Custom Editions by Wheels of Time Line Has Been Expand  (Read 2137 times)

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
    • Trains N Scale
No longer manufactured by Shapeways (as was the case with the step vans, dump truck, and the MOW truck), available directly from Wheels of Time, with free-rolling wheels, the firm's Custom Editions line of Medium and Heavy Duty Work Trucks has been expanded to include several new model offerings (i.e., No. 97506 twelve foot stake/flatbed truck and No. 97507 day-cab semi tractors).

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:27:05 AM by GaryHinshaw »

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
How hard would it be to remove the flatbed? These would make a great mid-60's fire truck...
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
Matthew had several on display in Salt Lake City last month at the National N Scale Convention.  I took a lot of photos, but this one turned out the best.  http://nscalevehicles.org/news.php  You will need to scroll down past the Trainworx trailers and trucks.

I will see if I can find some worthy of being uploaded here.  All of the models at the convention were painted, or at least in primer, so it is easier to tell what they actually look like.   :D

It is a little hard to tell when looking at the translucent "raw" printed examples.
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
How hard would it be to remove the flatbed? These would make a great mid-60's fire truck...

This. I wish they'd separate the frame, body, interior and wheels so we could have some fun with this truck.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...

This. I wish they'd separate the frame, body, interior and wheels so we could have some fun with this truck.

Since these are "custom editions", maybe you could lobby WOT to produce the bare frame version. All they have to do is slightly edit their drawing.
. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association

Bryan,

I agree, and having the separate components would make the model easier to paint and detail.  However, it is remarkable that the models can be printed as a single unit, and still have the wheels turn.

I am not sure what would happen if one tried to modify the truck by cutting into it.  I only purchased one model (the stake bed), so I am not about to try it.  I remember James Will relating the story of what happened when he tried to remove the cowling from the 3D printed Make My Models school bus.  The bus literally shattered!   :(
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
However, it is remarkable that the models can be printed as a single unit, and still have the wheels turn.

I never understood why it was important to make the wheels turn on models like this...

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
I never understood why it was important to make the wheels turn on models like this...

Right?  I guess some people must like to push them around?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...

Right?  I guess some people must like to push them around?

And make engine noises with their mouths.   :D

As far as the interlocked moving parts being printed on a 3-D printer, while it has have a "Wow-factor" but it is not really all that impressive. With FUD or FXD they just print a layer of wax where the gap between the parts would be. Nothing to it.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
And make engine noises with their mouths.   :D

As far as the interlocked moving parts being printed on a 3-D printer, while it has have a "Wow-factor" but it is not really all that impressive. With FUD or FXD they just print a layer of wax where the gap between the parts would be. Nothing to it.  :)

Yep, probably one of those "just did it because they could" things.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Yep, probably one of those "just did it because they could" things.

One of the things people try to do with any new printer is to print the smallest possible working rubiks cube that printer can do.

Jason

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Having the front wheel positionable is a nice touch, so you can set them at a turn. But yea, rolling? Am I five?

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.