Author Topic: Bachmann Easy Command System  (Read 3560 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Bachmann Easy Command System
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 09:58:37 PM »
So look for a system that will not go obsolete when something new comes around.

If that is the deciding factor, then Lenz system has been around the longest (since they originated the digital command control.  Systems like Wangorw Electronic System One (which eventually morphed into NCE), has also been around almost as long as Lenz. Digitrax is also one of the early DCC manufacturers.  Most of those very early systems feature excellent backwards compatibility (but not 100% - even Digitrax).  CVP EasyDCC also maintains good backwards compatibility.   All those are long-established companies which do their best to maintain compatibility when possible.

But another thing to consider is that at this point in time there are some technological development taking place on the DCC field. After all the standard DCC is decades-old, while the technology has advanced by giant giant leaps since the introduction to DCC.  features such as bi-directional communication between the command station or a block detector and the decoder will be possible. (that is one of the examples).  But I don't  see how all the new technology can be utilized with the current DCC systems. So (just like with the television standard change from analog to digital TV) you will have to make a forward move and purchase new DCC equipment when it becomes available.

My NCE recommendation might be noise to some, but I stand by my earlier opinion.
. . . 42 . . .

Freight Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »
Got put off for a couple of weeks but by Thursday of this week I'll have the NCE starter system on order. Next thing I have to work on is getting the track. Can't believe how costly the price of track as gone up over the past few years. But thanks to all that made comments here on the different DCC systems. Special thanks to Peteski for pointing out that NCE system at a great price. For a few dollars more will be getting a way better system then what I was originally going to get. Can't wait to get things up and running to try everything out !
Phoenix Southside Connecting Railroad (H0)
Moose River Railroad (N)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »
Special thanks to Peteski for pointing out that NCE system at a great price. For a few dollars more will be getting a way better system then what I was originally going to get. Can't wait to get things up and running to try everything out !

Enjoy!  I don't have a layout but I often work on DCC locomotives and the PowerCab system is perfect for testing them.    It is also perfect for a small layout, and of course it is expandable. 
. . . 42 . . .

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 03:56:51 PM »
Have FUN -- post questions here 99.999% of the folks try to be helpful. :D

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »
I am going to ask a similar question.

Some background:

I am not a DCC user.  Most of my power is older and is not even DCC ready.  My pike consists of two loops joined by a connector.  There is also a track that runs point-to-point.  It does connect by cross-over to the  station tracks in what represents a junction of the two railroads that operate on the loops.  As part of that function, it also serves as one leg of a wye.  My question deals with the point-to-point trackage.

Other than for turning purposes, the equipment that I plan to operate on that track are two B-mann 70 Tonners and two B-mann gas-electrics, all of which have the factory decoder.  I am thinking htat this is an opportunity to check out DCC and see if I like it.  It would be on a section of track that is without too many factors that could complicate things. 

With the exception of one of the gas-electrics, the power that operates on this point-to-point section of track would not operate on the DC part.  The DC power that needs to turn would operate on it, but, I am guessing that I can put switches between power supply and track that would permit me to cut off the DCC and turn on the DC, turn the locomotive, then cut off the DC and put back the DCC.  I could back the one gas-electric from the point-to-point to the DC junction tracks in similar fashion.

Would it be a better idea to get a B-mann starter system for this, as the equipment is B-mann?  As it is simply point-to-point trackage with two turnouts, the requirements would not be too demanding, which is another reason why I am considering a B-mann starter set.

................................thoughts or advice?   ............thank you in advance......................

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »
I have the same recommendation as I had earlier in this thread:  NCE Power Cab, all-in-one (but expandable) DCC system which is also quite affordable.
I own NCE PowerCab, and it is ideal for a small DCC layout or for bench-testing locomotives (which is what I use it for). I also take it with me (in a small box) to NTRAK shows, again, for setting up and troubleshooting DCC models without affecting the main DCC system which runs the layout. NCE is also a well-established DCC manufacturer.

But then again, the new Digitrax Zephyr with all-new keypad, and a color LCD screen (with plain English prompts) is also temprting (Digitrax has finally entered 21st Century). Not sure if that system is even out yet (I had a chance to play with it at the last Springfield show).

. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »
I've been a Digitrax guy since I first went DCC in the mid-2000s, and honestly I'm not thrilled with the NCE PowerCab system we use at our club.  I'm sure if I had started out with NCE I would be arguing for it over Digitrax, but I do like my Digitrax system.  The original reason I was sold on Digitrax was that I could run my analog engines alongside my DCC engines as I switched over (this is when I was in N scale).  Not sure what the other systems do with analog.

Like @peteski I'd be looking at the new Zephyr system if I needed to replace my command station.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 10:59:14 PM »
Two comments on top of what have already been said.

If you plan to join a club later on, check out the local clubs that you may be interested in joining and see what they use.  You'll have experts to tap into and you can use your home throttle at the club events.  This may steer you in a particular direction.

Secondly, to help with the budget, see if you can find a used system, whatever brand you decide on.  Perhaps at a club, a train show or even eBay.  As people upgrade, they have decent used equipment available.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:26:41 AM by MK »

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2019, 12:38:38 AM »
But then again, the new Digitrax Zephyr with all-new keypad, and a color LCD screen (with plain English prompts) is also temprting (Digitrax has finally entered 21st Century). Not sure if that system is even out yet (I had a chance to play with it at the last Springfield show).
Would that be this product?
http://www.digitrax.com/products/starter-sets/dcs52/

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2019, 12:51:17 AM »
Would that be this product?
http://www.digitrax.com/products/starter-sets/dcs52/

Yup, that's the one. I was quite impressed by the leaps and bounds of an improvement in their "human interface".  I didn't have a chance to get deeply into its menus, but from what I saw is that gone are the cryptic messages on the display. This unit communicates with its user in English language! 
. . . 42 . . .

conrad

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 10:11:30 AM »
If somewhat computer savvy, an inexpensive way to go is the DCC++ system. 
With an Arduino Uno, Arduino motor shield, JMRI program and a computer/laptop you can be running for under $100 (less computer cost).
Add another $50 for a RaspberryPI and forget dedicating a computer.
See https://github.com/DccPlusPlus/BaseStation/wiki/What-is-DCC--Plus-Plus and various YouTube posts.

conrad

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2019, 01:29:28 PM »
I think NCE is the best of the starter sets, but that isn't saying much. All these systems have small displays and rather unintuitive... There HAS to be a better way to adjust settings than using CVs. Seriously.... Why can't a system detect the decoder you use and then use a 100% scale on the variables? Why can I select "rotary beacon" fit for light number 3 instead of changing CVXX to XXX and CVXY to XXZ?

It's dumb and it needs to change.

I really wish there was a controller that could set and program all sounds decoders regardless of manufacture.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »
Unfortunately, the lighting effects and sounds  are not part of the NMRA standards, and each manufacturer implements them differently.  The only way to do what you desire would  be to have a DCC system which hosts a database of all the decoders out there, and their lighting and sound implementations.  The closest we have to that is JMRI
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
Yes, by all means avoid the Bachmann system (soooo limited).

NCE is the choice of over 85% of the folks I know (Digitrax being the smaller piece).

I have the NCE Powercab, which I like. 8)

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
My choice would be a Pi-SPROG One full package - New all in one DCC Programmer and Controller that contains a PI-SPROG board, Raspberry Pi 3 with WiFi that also has JMRI DecoderPro & PanelPro pre-loaded and 2 power supplies. Price is around the same as the starter NCE or Digitrax systems  - around $170. Its a complete DCC system with enough track power to handle sound locomotive programing & CV value read back. After your locos are properly programed, operators then connect their Apple iPhones/iPads with the WiThrottle app or Android phones/tablets with the Engine Driver app to use as throttles. Only items missing in the $170 price are a monitor, keyboard & mouse which most users might already have on hand. This system might not be great as a starter set but once you are familiar with DCC and need to delve deeper into sound decoder programing or WiFi throttles then it really shines!

http://www.sprog.us.com/sprog.html

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:05:38 PM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/