Author Topic: Modeling narrow gauge: Myths, clichés, and stereotypes  (Read 5149 times)

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
Re: Modeling narrow gauge: Myths, clichés, and stereotypes
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 05:10:45 AM »
N gauge, 9 mm, is commonly used for 2'6"/30 inch gauge worldwide, as HOn30, and there is a fair amount of equipment, as well as HOn30 track, available.  Whether many Australians model their sugar railways in HO I have no idea.
If you get to see a copy of Narrow Gauge Downunder ( a local publication) it has had a lot of articles about our Sugar Trains up North.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 12:08:46 AM »
Thanks guys, I had no idea about HOn30.

I did find this site after searching for modeling Queensland sugar cane railways. Interesting and extensive site:
http://www.zelmeroz.com/canesig/

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 01:46:50 AM »
30 inch gauge was rare in the US, but not uncommon elsewhere.  The main use by US modelers seems to have been for Maine 2-foot gauge lines, using early N gauge parts, which may have given it something of fantasy image here.
N Kalanaga
Be well

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 09:47:41 AM »
S Class, the Queensland sugar railways have always seemed like an interesting prototype. Do many folks down under model them? N scale track is close (I think) to 2'6" gague in HO...

It would appear to be regional, down here in Victoria I'm more likely to see freelance or VR Narrow Gauge than Queensland unless it's a bender moved south. October 2007 Australian Model Railway Magazine carried its cover story on a cane exhibition layout from Queensland. You've also got the defunct Dutton Bay Tramway (Oct 2010) http://members.optushome.com.au/duttonbay/ (caution web1.0 alert!) which is freelance set in South Aus and was 2'6" due to the lack of 36" gauge wheels back in the 60's.

Track appears to be either HOe Crazy track or N scale track with most mechs being tomix and other Japanese power units or reclaimed Atlas/Life Like switchers.
Regards
Tony A

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 09:53:10 AM »
Narrow gauge was EXTREMELY common in Pennsylvania, not just the EBT.

More than half of the early logging railroads ("trams") were narrow-gauge, and the majority of Climax A's in the 13-18 ton range were narrow gauge.   Regional mileage on shortlines/logging was about evenly split between standard and narrow-gauge builds.

The largest narrow gauge system surviving in the east wasn't the EBT, it was the Tionesta Valley - and it ran until 1944.   100 miles+ of track.  EBT had about 60.   It had passenger trains and some incredible reverse hairpin wood trestles.   Colorado eat your heart out.
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,212853,213337
There is a book - hard to find - "Tionesta Valley" by Walter C Casler, it's out of print and not cheap but if you want the entire story, it has been written and documented.  https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81lopq6ju9L.jpg   If you look at the cover shot and see a fill made of logs, that's typical.

Some of the early oilfield railroads were narrow-gauge too; WNYP had an entire division between Bradford and Kinzua that was 3', the Warren & Farnsworth Valley was 3' with a couple beautiful 4-4-0's, and more.

I always love that Sheffield terminal shot because that's the worst mess of dual-gauge track I've ever seen.

The other big-time narrow gauge locally was the Pittsburg & Western, absorbed by the B&O and standard-gauged about 1905.   This is the P&W WITHOUT the "H", deliberate.  That's what became the Knox & Kane tourist railroad, now a trail.  Depending on who you read, it was as long as 200 miles.  It never got over its narrow-gauge heritage though if you looked at the right-of-way.  Sheesh!  Very little history out on it in the narrow gauge years.

In this area, the most defining statement of narrow gauge was that they avoided capital investment wherever possible.   Wood instead of steel, trestles instead of fill, a hairpin curve up a valley instead of a big trestle or fill, a curve around a rock or stump.   Very little roadbed.  Tunnels?  Are you kidding me?   If there did ever turn out to be any long-term traffic, the line was standard-gauged.

The most complete 'down and out' narrow gauge locally was the Youngsville & Sugar Grove, intended as a 10-mile streetcar line but couldn't afford the wire, had a NY Elevated Forney and two cars.  That's it.   

Another thing of interest is that Bob Richardson, who became famous documenting the Colorado Narrow Gauge after WWII, cut his teeth here photographing the logging and narrow gauge lines of the east right before the war.  His collections on these lines are now online in the Denver Public Library and of outstanding quality.  After he retired from the Colorado Railroad Museum, he returned back here to live as a virtual hermit in woods of PA until he died.

I've become interested in this because the 'other' logging railroad at West Hickory was 3' - McCabe Lumber with a 3' Class A Climax.  So I'm tinkering now with Nn3.

My own little Hickory Valley was also dual gauge for many years as their first locomotive was a 48" 0-4-0t that never was photographed, and the original 'Reno Railroad' branch was built to 48".  The only proof of the dual-gauge era is the odd preponderance of what looks like guard rail nearly everywhere, it's the dual-gauge track that outlived the locomotive. 
http://www.randgust.com/HVbridge1908.jpg

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:14:09 AM by randgust »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 02:20:16 AM »
The EBT was a rare North American narrow gauge that actually tried to keep up with the times.  Concrete arch bridge, steel cars, standard gauge clearances and trackwork, it was basically a modern (early 20th century) coal road, except for the gauge. 
N Kalanaga
Be well