Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/15/18  (Read 10435 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2113
Weekend Update 7/15/18
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »
+6

Richie Dost

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5522
Re: Weekend Update 7/15/18
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:32:31 PM »
On the way to @R L Smith for warranty work  :D

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »
+13
The family that models together, stays together...
Or, I was doomed from the start.

Deets: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=45024.0

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:06:31 PM »
+6
I am getting closer to finish up the Pacific Electric 1124 (I chose that number since they all were all together on the decal sheet). I still need paint and install the lights and get/paint/install the poles.

I put a Los Angeles letter board and destination sign on one end and a Long Beach letter board and destination sign on the other end. Yes, I  know that the 1100’s never ran to Long Beach, but see Rule #1 of model railroading….

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 11:20:25 PM »
+19
Finished the steam plant (lighting, steam overhead pipes which still need some safety paint, and weathering).

While I was taking night time shots I took one of Nelson station all lit up...

Finally, I had three friends over for a very casual C&W session.  It was a bit of a test to see if just switching cars cleaning up from the last full session could be entertaining.  No fast clock, no Dispatcher, no TT, no orders.  Just clean up trains and a ton of yard switching.  For the first time I switched Nelson yard, albeit in the subordinate Nelson East end.  Fun!

TRW's famous physicist, and Tehachapi BC Super, Gary Hinshaw at South Slocan.  That's Rene Gourley, acting as the Nelson yardmaster this night, in bgnd.

Anthony, the Super of the wonderful CPR Kettle Valley sub, eastbound at Shields with the Cascade Turn.

The Kootenay Forest products saw and plywood mill at the East end of Nelson can be a bit of a head scratcher...

Rene steadily working away at classifying all those cars left in Nelson yard

Anthony contemplating the Slocan Forest Products mill at Slocan City at the North end of the Slocan sub.

With all the Nelson industries switched and trains classified, Rene and I turned to blocking the first two wayfrieghts to go out the next Morning: the Kraft Switcher and the Slocan/Kaslo sub wayfreight.  We each took one - here I am blocking the Kraft switcher from the east end of the double ended yard while Rene is blocking the S/K train from the west end.  Our two sets of paired Atlas S2's performed very very well.

Have a great weekend!

md

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:23:34 PM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1950
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:38:54 PM »
+10
Final fitting and installation of the load on the Schnabel.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 12:58:58 AM »
+9
I picked up an Exact Rail Lehigh Valley covered hopper at the Springfield show in January. A few days ago I was going through some of my grandfather's photos and found a CV GP9 pulling a couple of similar looking LV hoppers. I thought I could use these as a weathering guide, since they were the right era and location, but when I looked closer it turned out that the first hopper has the same number as the model! I never get that lucky.

I'll try to take another picture at the same angle, but something is slightly off with my weathering. It's not bad, but it could be better.

I've also been fitting True-Scale Couplers and wcfn100's coupler boxes to everything in sight.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 01:57:55 AM »

I've also been fitting True-Scale Couplers and wcfn100's coupler boxes to everything in sight.
I'm assuming you are liking the combo of the two? Have you tried switching at all? What are your general thoughts. I really want the TSC to work well.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 03:03:41 AM »
+16
Construction on the subway portals is just about done.  This pic was taken before the inside window sills were added.  I finished the four light circuits tonight and tested them connected to the layout auxiliary bus, but I had to order 30 gauge wire as it will be difficult to hide 22 gauge I planned on using from sight.  Should have these fully wrapped up by next weekend.

UPDATE — I thought I had taken a pic after the inside window sills had been installed and it turned up today.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:28:40 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 07:56:14 AM »
+25
Awesome stuff already. I started adding some Supertrees. God it feels good to be laying down scenery again. This is modeled after the Upper Lehigh Line in the Lehigh Gorge. A little modern and a little mashup of late 60’s-70’s. Cornell Red does go well in the fall.

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3376
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 08:39:06 AM »
+8
Finished another baggage car for my Santa Fe trains. This is pretty close to an order received by Santa Fe in 1956, however, it has three windows in each door instead of two. Started life as a Walthers Pullman Standard 72' Southern Pacific baggage car. Stripped, repainted, and decaled. I'm happy with the results. Blends in very nicely with my Kato equipment.

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 11:03:13 AM »

Looks great!  Nice details!  Are the window muntins printed on a transparency?
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 03:29:44 PM »
Looks great!  Nice details!  Are the window muntins printed on a transparency?

Correct.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +504
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »

I'll try to take another picture at the same angle, but something is slightly off with my weathering. It's not bad, but it could be better.

It looks good, but to my eye the center color looks a little too yellow and uniform. Looking at the prototype photo, it looks like the streaks are darker in the center and feather out to the ribs
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »
+3
I spent the past week in North Carolina with some relatives.  My twelve-year-old cousin is a budding model railroader, so we went to Spencer one day.  Another day we met up with @160pennsy and got to see some of his Nn3 stuff along with the North Raleigh Model Railroad Club.

In between world cup games we made some trees using a modified version of @grove den's techniques using what we had on hand.

First, we made the wire trunks and branches.

Next, we glued leftover pencil shavings to the trunks and once that dried coated the trunks with a mixture of modeling paste and craft paint.

We then spray glued the branches and wrapped wool rovings around the tree.

One that dried we ripped the excess off.

We then lightly spay painted the branches to match the trunks.  In the final step, we spay glued the branches and added ground foam.

It's too bad the hobby shop in Spencer was out of medium green course ground foam.  We'll just say the trees are magnolias.  :D  All in all, I'd say it was a great vacation.
Aaron Bearden