Author Topic: Why Kato needs to do the Empire Builder and North Coast Limited...  (Read 13812 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: Why Kato needs to do the Empire Builder and North Coast Limited...
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2018, 02:25:35 PM »
                       :|Con Cor later offered open stock NP NCL cars with a much better paint color match and better graphics. I have used several of these cars , dome coach and sleeper with a Kato Smooth Side train that someone had custom painted and later sold. The IM Centralia observation car in NP two tone green models the only one of these cars to have the large white stripe triangle patch at the end of the car. a proper NCL would be nice though. Nate Goodman (Nato).   :|

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2018, 03:17:09 PM »
Kato needs to do the Empire Builder and North Coast Limited...so they can make more PRR cars:

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2018, 03:59:58 PM »
Kato needs to do the Empire Builder and North Coast Limited...so they can make more PRR cars:

Portland?

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2018, 06:34:31 PM »
Sure is!
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
As far as I know, at least one of every car type was painted BSB

Has anyone ever seen a round end observation car in BSB?, the business cars were fairly common, but I think the round end observation cars never received BSB.

I’m not here to argue

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2018, 06:05:21 PM »
Has anyone ever seen a round end observation car in BSB?, the business cars were fairly common, but I think the round end observation cars never received BSB.

I've never seen one.  That would make sense, since most observation cars were pulled out of service before the BSB paint scheme.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2018, 01:03:21 AM »
Mplsjct:  As far as I know there were no GN observation cars painted BSB.  Business cars, yes, but not passenger cars.

I didn't think of the observations, as they were gone from the Empire Builder before the merger, and, as far as I know, were removed at the beginning of the BSB era, in 1967.  The Mountain series, from the 1955 EB, had already been reassigned to the Western Star, and ended up on the Internationals, running until Amtrak.  The Coulee series, rebuilt from the 1947 EB, were put on the new EB when the dome-lounges arrived.

I know that the Mountain series cars remained green and orange until Amtrak, as they came through Pasco, one at a time, on the Amtrak Empire Builder, headed east for disposal.  What happened to the Coulee series cars I have no idea.  As far as I know they weren't used after 1966, and MAY have been rebuilt into something else.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2018, 02:52:27 AM »
I know that the Mountain series cars remained green and orange until Amtrak, as they came through Pasco, one at a time, on the Amtrak Empire Builder, headed east for disposal.
Several of the Mountain series cars still exist in various states of (dis)repair:
http://www.greatnorthernempire.net/index2.htm?GNEPreservedGNPassengerCars_Observation.htm

What happened to the Coulee series cars I have no idea.  As far as I know they weren't used after 1966, and MAY have been rebuilt into something else.
The Coulee series cars were rebuilt as coaches, surviving through BN and then being passed on to Amtrak:
http://www.greatnorthernempire.net/index2.htm?GNEGNObservation1190-1197.htm

ecfitzgerald

• Respect: +3
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2018, 07:23:36 AM »
Lowel Smith's Railsmith line will do PRR through cars, NYC too.  They are currently doing NP through cars for the SP Cascade.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2018, 01:41:11 AM »
Point353:  Thank you.  So the Coulee series cars were probably still green/orange when rebuilt. 
N Kalanaga
Be well