Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/17/18  (Read 8810 times)

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/18
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2018, 12:18:03 AM »
+1
I've been working on a number of projects the past week. I've been working on a very worn looking F7; B&M 4265, I've also painted and decalled a RDC-3 and painted a RDC-1. Today I finally got back to my entry in the Industrial Structure Challenge. I got distracted in February, but better late than never.

The F7 is quite shiny now, but won't be for long. Still need to finish the decals first.

The prototype:

The RDC also needs to be weathered. It's far too clean for an early '70s Budd car.

I like ALL of this. Nice to see someone else modeling prototype B&M stuff!

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2018, 12:20:56 AM »
+2
I spent the last few days here:

I registered to attend, but I was also one of 2 guys in charge of our 11' of so T Trak setup, and gave a clinic about T Trak- covering the basics and how to do actual operations on T Trak.

I was able to do some actual switching on my modules over the course of the convention. We were in a glassed in conference room, and soon as we started setting out cars and throwing switches, it seemed 5 guys would come by to see what was up.

I also got to operate on Riley Triggs' Hoboken Shore Railroad in HO. He's got a great layout and the entire layout is dead rail, with battery powered locomotives. I was able to do 2 switch jobs in about 3 and a half hours. I encourage anyone curious to read more here: http://ponyrr.blogspot.com/

I was also able to go to clinics presented by Lance Mindheim and Trevor Marshall. Trevor was also the banquet speaker and he and I got to have several thought provoking conversations (at least for me) over the course  of the convention. I took my wife to the banquet, and even as a non hobbyist, she thought his comments about the future of the hobby were interesting.

I'd never given a clinic before, but I think it went ok. I didn't have very many attendees, but the people who came were very engaged. I presented twice, on Friday night and Saturday morning. They had a projector go down on Saturday morning, so I offered to go without if they would let me pull my modules out of the main setup so I could do a hands on presentation. They agreed and for a kind of half baked idea, it actually worked out ok. I talked for half the time and spent the other half operating with a volunteer. If I give a clinic about T Trak again, I will plan to bring operating modules and do a hands on demonstration.

If any of you see Kim Saign in Salt Lake, be sure to congratulate him for his win in the Peanut Butter Jar Lid competition. The contests was to build something that fit on a peanut better jar lid. He entered an N scale Soo Line interlocking tower and got first place.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:23:14 AM by squirrelhunter »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2018, 12:37:29 AM »
Chris:  Congratulations!
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2018, 10:02:35 AM »
Congrats on the clinic. Mine was like that too.

These NMRA regional meets are actually kinda fun. I really enjoyed the one I went to last year. They actually changed my perspective on the NMRA and its value.

I also noticed that I was probably the second youngest person there at 36 (aside from @CodyO who I think is 15 haha).

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2018, 11:51:25 AM »
These NMRA regional meets are actually kinda fun. I really enjoyed the one I went to last year. They actually changed my perspective on the NMRA and its value.

I also noticed that I was probably the second youngest person there at 36 (aside from @CodyO who I think is 15 haha).

Last one I went too I was the youngest person there, and I'm 33.  The local regional here in Vegas is mostly old set in their way geezers, so I stopped going to their meets

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2018, 03:13:13 PM »
+3
For Father's Day, my family kidnapped me to a surprise (first) excursion on the Sonoma-Marin SMART train on the former Northwestern Pacific ROW.  Sunday afternoon train from San Rafael to Petaluma was packed.  Had a great lunch in Petaluma and returned.  The combination of smooth new track and almost silent DMU technology made for an interesting and fast ride.  Very scenic route mostly away from roads, except for a couple spots where it is along Highway 101 and commuters stuck in traffic can see the SMART train wisk by.  Highly recommended if you visit the Bay Area.  Next year the extension to the Larkspur ferry terminal will be complete, so you will be able to take the ferry from San Francisco and connect to the SMART train to Santa Rosa. 

For movie buffs parts of American Graffiti were filmed on San Rafael's 4th Street, and Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt took place in Santa Rosa with the opening scene of the train arriving at the Santa Rosa station.

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
Ed, you are right they are a lot of fun. This was my 2nd NMRA regional meet- my first one was in 2012 in Houston and I didn't know anyone at the time and wasn't in any clubs, but I went just for the clinics, which were very heavy on the prototype info. I came away with a wealth of prototype knowledge on some obscure subjects I didn't even know existed.

This time I was a member of AustNtrak, volunteered to do a clinic and help with the T Trak set up and made a point to sign up for an operating session and go to the banquet. It was way more fun and I got to meet a lot of excellent modelers. I never really had exposure to the NMRA before and I have never been to a national convention/show, but from my perspecative I think they do a good job at the division/region level here in Texas trying to keep the modeling community going.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »
Spent many a spring breaks visiting my grandparents in Petaluma during my pre-teen years, watching the SP NWP sub, and then the Cal Northern.  Great to see commuter rail there now.

~ Matt

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1870
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2018, 10:52:13 PM »
+6
I finally wrapped up ILSX 942, the SW1500 that’s currently in testing on the Skally Line. I could headbutt someone for the lousy design of the pickups on these. Having to have the shell on to test run is a pain in the ars. I am happy I’ve got it all going now. I may pair it up with ILSX 924 to get some more aggressive pulling power.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »
Haven't seen the Petaluma depot since they painted it...let's just say not prototypical colors.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »
Congrats on the clinic. Mine was like that too.

I really did enjoy it too, are we going again this year?
Though I was totally the youngest at 23
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2018, 10:08:14 PM »
Doug,
I put the weight under the deck. The frame was designed with plenty of room. I used PineCar Bar Weights that I picked up at my local HobbyTown.

Thanks Karl.   Another question.   I assume you started out with the Baldylox unit from Shapeways.  That one is a Type J.   How did you construct the hydraulic arms to make it a "Roadmaster"?

Doug

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1870
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »
Thanks Karl.   Another question.   I assume you started out with the Baldylox unit from Shapeways.  That one is a Type J.   How did you construct the hydraulic arms to make it a "Roadmaster"?

Doug

Yes, this is a Baldylox Type J. I used styrene to make the arms, I did a full write up, it should be in the next issue of N Scale Railroading Magazine.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2018, 09:33:41 PM »
Yes, this is a Baldylox Type J. I used styrene to make the arms, I did a full write up, it should be in the next issue of N Scale Railroading Magazine.

Well, that's unfortunate (for me) because I don't get that mag nor is it available in any of the newsstands here.  I guess I'll have to try and "reinvent the wheel" if I decide to do a Roadmaster.  Thanks for posting those photos, however.  They will certainly help with any future construction.

Doug