Author Topic: Kato D51 and Kato Mikado - interchangeable parts?  (Read 1426 times)

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
Kato D51 and Kato Mikado - interchangeable parts?
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »
Hey guys -

I am looking at doing some kitbashes with Kato Mikado mechanisms, and I need some crank pins.  Kato USA has been out of stock with this part for a while.  I see that you can buy crank pins from Kato Japan for the D51 2-8-2. I am curious if the crank pins are the same size. 

Does anyone have a D51 and an American Mikado, and are the crank pins interchangeable?  Thanks so much!

Mike

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Kato D51 and Kato Mikado - interchangeable parts?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 11:42:43 PM »
You got me curious Mike, so I checked my models.  The answer is: it depends . . .
 :D

Mikado pins are 1mm diameter.

Then there are multiple releases of D51.
The 2006 release (with single-piece side rods) also uses 1mm pins.  Same as Mikado.
But the current, 2016 release of D51 (multi-piece side rods, coreless motor, and enhanced level of detail) uses 0.82mm pins (which are the same as used in U.S. prototype GS-4 and FEF).

So you need to do more research as to which D51 those pins are for.
. . . 42 . . .

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 11:50:59 PM »
You got me curious Mike, so I checked my models.  The answer is: it depends . . .
 :D

Mikado pins are 1mm diameter.

Then there are multiple releases of D51.
The 2006 release (with single-piece side rods) also uses 1mm pins.  Same as Mikado.
But the current, 2016 release of D51 (multi-piece side rods, coreless motor, and enhanced level of detail) uses 0.82mm pins (which are the same as used in U.S. prototype GS-4 and FEF).

So you need to do more research as to which D51 those pins are for.

That is awesome, thanks Pete.  On eBay, there are Japanese dealers selling D51 "original" version crank pins in packs of twenty.  I am going to order a pack and try it out.  It sounds like this might be the 2006 version and would fit the Mikado.  Could be a solution to the lack of parts with Kato USA.  Is the length of the crank pin different for the D51, or are the crank pins identical?

Also, how close are the siderods on the 2006 D51 to the Kato Mikado?  Could be a source of valve gear as well.

Mike

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 02:59:38 AM »
Photo is worth many words.

Additional photos of the 2006 D51 are in my D51 gallery .
. . . 42 . . .

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:22:41 AM »
Cool, looks like the crank pins are the same, and probably the valve gear is interchangeable.  The valve gear is slightly different in look, but that could be changed.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 10:53:15 AM »
I just ordered a bunch of crank pins from Japan that should be the right size.  I will have plenty of extras, so I can sell some at minimal cost to anyone interested.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
I did forget to answer your original question. The pin length is identical.

The connecting rod(s) are done a bit differently on each loco.  While both locos have the three rear driver axles gear driven, the crank pins are used on different drivers.

Mikado only has the side rods pinned at the 1st and 3rd (main) drivers.
D51 has the side rods pinned at the 1st, 3rd (main), and 4th driver.  But since the 4th (rear) driver is gear-driven, that pin is just cosmetic.

The axle spacing does appear to be the same on both locos, so the the rods and valve gear should be easily interchangeable.  The different valve gear on the D51 is probably a bonus, since it depicts a different type of valve gear which might have been used on some American 2-8-2s.
. . . 42 . . .

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
Thanks Pete, much appreciated for your help!  Looks like the crank pins will work.  The siderods should be great for kitbashes.