Author Topic: N Scale Trains on Facebook  (Read 8218 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: N Scale Trains on Facebook
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2018, 03:35:28 PM »
+1
I don't think I've joined any of the N scale stuff on Facebook, if I did I don't "follow"(or whatever) it.

It is hard to find any Facebook group that you want to see everything they post.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 04:16:34 PM »
+2
... It is hard to find any Facebook group that you want to see everything they post.

No FB in my house, but I have gathered from general conversation that FB is the new AOL. I'm thinking in terms of it having isolated islands of some quality but it's mostly a vapid populist social medium with mediocre filtering, and very poor S:N ratio. You guys are saying nothing to dispel that notion.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
No FB in my house, but I have gathered from general conversation that FB is the new AOL.

Unfortunately FB is where several of the Yahoo Groups I was a part of moved to.  I've given up on asking questions because there are no answers to be had, only 'likes'.   :(

Jason

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
Unfortunately FB is where several of the Yahoo Groups I was a part of moved to.  I've given up on asking questions because there are no answers to be had, only 'likes'.   :(

Jason

I wonder why the owner's chose that option rather than the Groups.io platform that many that I belong to went with?
It seems rather exclusionary to me.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »
Unfortunately FB is where several of the Yahoo Groups I was a part of moved to. ...

Hmm. Interesting. In my case, five out of the eight Yahoo Groups I was in moved to groups.io, and the remainder are either dead or close to it. It makes me curious about the driver behind your groups moving to FB - easier photo posting, maybe? That could be the difference, given the groups I loosely monitor are mostly technical discussions and don't need much illustration.

... It seems rather exclusionary to me.

Ditto. I wonder the same thing about hobby suppliers like BLI whose main marketing outlet is FB. Very poor access to the info and lots of browsing interference if you're not a FB member.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2018, 05:38:54 PM »

I wonder why the owner's chose that option rather than the Groups.io platform that many that I belong to went with?
It seems rather exclusionary to me.

I think a lot of them did eventually move Groups.io but still have a presence on FB.  Unfortunately my CGW group did not.

Jason

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
No FB in my house, but I have gathered from general conversation that FB is the new AOL. I'm thinking in terms of it having isolated islands of some quality but it's mostly a vapid populist social medium with mediocre filtering, and very poor S:N ratio. You guys are saying nothing to dispel that notion.

This group is also a small sample size, looking for an even smaller demographic of modelers.  RW type modelers are a small portion of the end of a bell curve.

FB is what you make of it.  Yes, it's full of noise, and not the first place I'd go looking to in hopes of finding quality modeling....at any level. 
~ Matt

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »
+1
This group is also a small sample size, looking for an even smaller demographic of modelers.  RW type modelers are a small portion of the end of a bell curve.

FB is what you make of it.  Yes, it's full of noise, and not the first place I'd go looking to in hopes of finding quality modeling....at any level.

The last thing I need in this busy and hectic world is MORE NOISE!  Thanks for that clarification.  Another nail in the proverbial FB coffin for me.  Not that I was going to join or anything . . .  Making nothing of it is perfectly fine with me. :D
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2018, 03:53:39 PM »
+3
MORE NOISE! 
>>>>is what you're adding to this thread :P

OK, some of the model groups are not very helpful, but the prototype groups I find to be a HUGE wealth of information, and if you choose to ignore that, that's fine..But you don't need to remind us you guys are not on Facebook every time the subject comes up.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2018, 04:08:05 PM »
+1
>>>>is what you're adding to this thread :P

OK, some of the model groups are not very helpful, but the prototype groups I find to be a HUGE wealth of information, and if you choose to ignore that, that's fine..But you don't need to remind us you guys are not on Facebook every time the subject comes up.

Following the historical societies of my choosing on FB is worth it for me.  And FB provides tools to block the noise, something that's tougher in forums.
~ Matt

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2018, 07:18:12 PM »
.But you don't need to remind us you guys are not on Facebook every time the subject comes up.

But by reading threads like this, and seeing friends and family around me using FB, I don't' need to join it and experience it in person - I have pretty darn good idea how it works.  :P
. . . 42 . . .

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2018, 08:40:51 PM »

The Pacific Electric group gives me a ton of unpublished photos for a prototype that merged into the SP in 1965....

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »
This is a proto rail graffiti group I sometimes contribute to

https://www.facebook.com/groups/661791037216697/?ref=bookmarks

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »
+1
A person doesn't need to jump into Facebook head first.  Just create a silly, anonymous account and join these groups to see what's out there.  Back in the day, folks were conservative and didn't want the whole world wide web to know their real name.  Now days, most seem to want to throw their real name out there in front of the "world."  Strange days indeed!

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2018, 12:09:18 AM »
FET!!  Front End Tuesday!

>  GORGEOUS!

>  So impressive Some very interesting ideas !

> WHO MAKES THE BNSF ENGINE?
     >> Doesn't matter, the real ones smell like a toilet.

> Did you make that cork or buy it?

> I bought an N scale house on the web but it doesn't fit with the rest of my buildings. So henceforth I will have to ask the scale ratio.  Looks nice though.

:facepalm:

Look, a wide cab!

I bet it would look great with a USRA double sheathed boxcar with a $#!+load of modern graffiti on it....