Author Topic: CAR CARD OPERATIONS  (Read 3975 times)

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Re: CAR CARD OPERATIONS
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
+1
I have operated on Dean(colddriver) with the tabs and have watched Mark Dance's video and spoke with him 2 years ago at sound rails and it convinced me to go with car tabs. I have held about 15 sessions since and I am not going back to computer switch lists or car cards. I have about 900 cars on the layout and it took a while to make the tabs( it would of taken longer to fill out the car cards!!) I did not see it listed before but the tab is painted(this will tell to town the car will go to) and then some marking on the colored tab( this will tell where in the town to car is to be spotted). So a Tank or coal car with a yellow tab mark with "JF" will go to the town of Marceline, MO. and will be spotted at Johnson Fuels. This make classing the cars in the yard very simple and blocking very easy!!! For smooth roof passenger cars and tank cars I bought some poster tack and put a little ball under the tab and the tab stays put. I think the tabs work great and as we all get a bit older reading some of the numbers id getting hard, like on the lower section of the tank cars.
                                                                                 Gordon Bliss - Santa Fe-All the Way

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2020, 07:37:45 AM »
I have operated on Dean(colddriver) with the tabs and have watched Mark Dance's video and spoke with him 2 years ago at sound rails and it convinced me to go with car tabs. I have held about 15 sessions since and I am not going back to computer switch lists or car cards. I have about 900 cars on the layout and it took a while to make the tabs( it would of taken longer to fill out the car cards!!) I did not see it listed before but the tab is painted(this will tell to town the car will go to) and then some marking on the colored tab( this will tell where in the town to car is to be spotted). So a Tank or coal car with a yellow tab mark with "JF" will go to the town of Marceline, MO. and will be spotted at Johnson Fuels. This make classing the cars in the yard very simple and blocking very easy!!! For smooth roof passenger cars and tank cars I bought some poster tack and put a little ball under the tab and the tab stays put. I think the tabs work great and as we all get a bit older reading some of the numbers id getting hard, like on the lower section of the tank cars.
                                                                                 Gordon Bliss - Santa Fe-All the Way

Gordon,

For some reason, I like looking at my yard tracks and seeing a string of the same color tabs on each track.  Maybe part of our satisfaction with MR ops is doing a job well done.  When having to read car nos., etc., you are never really sure.  When I see a string of yellow dots on one track, red on the next, it makes me happy.  And, if one car happens to be at the long end of a track with the wrong dot, almost impossible not to go cherry picking, but maybe I'm a bit OCD.

You have one of the great N scale Ops layouts I have seen, and no use not to enjoy that to the fullest, IMHO.

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +175
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2020, 04:14:52 AM »

That's my HO club, Silicon Valley Lines— that session was recorded in Spring 2019.

-Dave

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +801
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2020, 05:03:24 AM »
That's my HO club, Silicon Valley Lines— that session was recorded in Spring 2019.

-Dave

Nice ... whats with the chain link fence partitions?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +801
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2020, 06:06:14 AM »
I found this on JMRI io groups .. its a comparison of JMRI Ops vs ShipIt ..

Hoot

• Respect: 0
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2020, 09:35:56 PM »
I realize that this is not prototypical paperwork for the Pacific Electric, but this is for a model railroad, and I am using artwork from an era correct notepad

This is in Excel, so it can be edited as needed. I also plan to draw up a SPINS (Southern Pacific Industrial Numbing System, a map of all tracks) sheet for the branch, that is why there is a SPINS column, to match up with the track number.

That looks quite similar to something I read in MR awhile back. Jim Hediger used a form like that on his OS, he called it a wheel report. If I recall correctly it was not only easier to manage but easier for new operators to figure out. I think he made up multiples for each train (I want to say it was 10 but I could be wrong) so that each operating session not only the were the same cars showing up at the same place but the was and ebb and flow to each industry. The form tells you what type of car to put where, and the operator just picks the car in the train.