Author Topic: Chagrin, 47 years later  (Read 932 times)

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Chagrin, 47 years later
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:10:35 AM »
The current Classic Trains has a piece about the Mobile & Gulf RR that ran steam until it ceased operations in 1971. Yesterday's Classic Trains email distribution had color video of the operation taken in the 50's.

My chagrin is that while matriculating at Alabama from 1968-72, I was a mere 20 miles away from the operation. But, I would have had to have someone take me there as I had no car until senior year. Getting to rail fan it would have been a challenge.

I console myself by recalling the rail fanning I enjoyed right on the campus...GM&O line to Montgomery cut through, a block from my dorm; L&N line from B'ham on the eastern edge (with a rather long and high wooden trestle), and SOU  line from B'ham to New Orleans just beyond the athletic fields and basketball arena.

So close and I never knew. But my rail fan circles were non-existent then and I had a some intensive demands on my free time.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Chagrin, 47 years later
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:20:22 AM »
 :trollface: And as a Bama graduate you were no doubt temporarily intellectually stunted.  You seem to have recovered well.   :trollface:

Now I will have to buy that issue . . . .

Geaux Tigers!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Blazeman

• Crew
Re: Chagrin, 47 years later
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 11:33:47 AM »
:trollface: And as a Bama graduate you were no doubt temporarily intellectually stunted.  You seem to have recovered well.   :trollface:

Geaux Tigers!

It was quite a cultural adjustment in lots of ways starting with being 990 miles from home. In HS, I was a minority student in a city school for starters.

Blazeman

• Crew