Author Topic: Removing shell from newer (China) version of Atlas VO-1000 loco  (Read 512 times)

johnt48618

• Respect: +7
I am having no success removing the shell from a newer version (China) of the Atlas VO-1000 locomotive. Can someone explain how this can be accomplished?

Thanks,  John.

EL3632

• Crew
  • Respect: +56
Re: Removing shell from newer (China) version of Atlas VO-1000 loco
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 11:57:31 PM »
Made sure this was a China version first before posting. The easiest way I have found is to loosen it from the front, whether that be by putting a finger between the fuel tank and walkway, or using a small flat head screwdriver between the walkway and frame, and then lifting the shell up from the front. The front seems looser than the back.
Attached several photos to better explain what I mean.
Modeling the Erie Lackawanna and Delaware & Hudson in 1975, and Conrail and the Delaware & Hudson in 1981.

johnt48618

• Respect: +7
Re: Removing shell from newer (China) version of Atlas VO-1000 loco
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »
Thanks very much, EL3632. I used your option #2 and put a pair of small, flat-bladed screwdrivers in the location you mentioned. The front of the shell lifted right up. The loco's rear easily came out with a little wiggling. Recommended technique for anyone wanting to remove the shell of the newer version of the Atlas VO-1000 for stripping/repainting or maintenance.

John