Author Topic: Making ESU loksound sound different in a consist?  (Read 1314 times)

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
Making ESU loksound sound different in a consist?
« on: June 03, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
Howdy all...since I was finally able to get the rest of SOO sound equipped deuces,,,what is required to make them sound like individual locos in a consist. I remember reading it somewhere...but just can not remember where.
All 4 have the same ramp up,,run and idle. So it is sounding just like one loco.
Thanks for any help

Adios, Y-it

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: Making ESU loksound sound different in a consist?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 04:42:00 PM »
You can indeed do this by changing the sound speed of the prime mover. This can be accomplished on the "sound slot settings" page in the LokProgrammer with the "minimum sound speed" and "maximum sound speed" sliders. I recently did this with two of my GE locos that have the same sound file. I would have to look up the involved CV's if you don't have a LokProgrammer, but I think there's a section on this in the manual.

...one thing I'm still not sure about is why there's both a minimum and maximum speed slider, so I just set them both at something like 97 or 98% in one loco. I'm not sure what happens to the playback speed if one is set to, say, 90% and the other at 110%. Does the sound speed continuously oscillate between the two speeds or does it pick a speed somewhere in the range upon startup and stay there until it's shut down?

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 04:51:00 PM »
It oscillates. It can become very weird with phasing, too. So I always set the min/max the same, too. This can be done in JMRI as well. Just remember, the prime mover is in sound slot 1. And, a little adjustment is all that is needed to differentiate between them.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 06:36:38 PM »
How much is enough?? 2-3% or more? Fixing to break out the programmer and try in a little bit.
Thank you for the info guys!
Adios,Y-it

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 07:02:14 PM »
The normal is 128. I move to 125 or 131. Play both, you can hear it. I also do the same for horns, randomize between about 125 and 133, which allows to still identify each horn, but if two locos are sitting next to each other, they are distinguishable.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N