Author Topic: Shell stripping with ultrasonic cleaner  (Read 1712 times)

gary60s

• Crew
  • Charter member of CAMRRA
  • Respect: +74
Shell stripping with ultrasonic cleaner
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »
+1

About 10 years ago my wife got me this cleaner on sale at radio shack for 5 bucks. They are still available on ebay, but price has gone up to around $16.00 . I had an old Bachmann shell left over from back then so I thought I would strip it to show what a timesaver it is. I used a 50/50 mix of 91% alcohol / denatured alcohol. There is NO NEED to use anything stronger (brake fluid or pine sol). Pic titles are self explanatory and show elapsed time. The cleaner can be used in 2 different ways. You can simply put it in the lid and turn it on, or you can move it around in the soaking basket, playing it closely to the shell (this works faster). The cleaner has an auto shutdown feature after 10 minutes, so you need to turn it back on. After 85 minutes I took the shell into the kitchen (wife was gone) and ran it
under water and used a toothbrush for a few stubborn spots. Total strip time was 90 minutes.

cleaner

shell,cleaner,basket

10 minutes soaking

15 minutes soaking

20 minutes soaking

30 minutes soaking

after 47 minutes

after 85 minutes

Gary

gary60s

• Crew
Re: Shell stripping with ultrasonic cleaner
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »
I don't understand why no one has tried this.  It is fast and easy and will not damage shells.
Gary

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 08:48:02 PM »
In some cases you can soak a model in straight 91%, and paint will come off almost on its own, or a light tooth brush..

How well can it clean a Kato shell?

~ian
~Ian

gary60s

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
Can't say. Never had a kato shell.
Gary

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
Gary, your statement "used a 50/50 mix of 91% alcohol / denatured alcohol." is confusing.  You use 2 types of alcohol?  If yes, what type is the first "alcohol"?  Vodka (grain alcohol), rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol, or another type of alcohol?
. . . 42 . . .

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
Gary, your statement "used a 50/50 mix of 91% alcohol / denatured alcohol." is confusing.  You use 2 types of alcohol?  If yes, what type is the first "alcohol"?  Vodka (grain alcohol), rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol, or another type of alcohol?

In the relm of alcohol stripping, I've never had luck with anything less than straight 91% alcohol.  As I recall we discussed using Vodka, but the $/floz was cost prohibitive.

I've also used Castrol Super Clean on LBF and Red Caboose, and the age old Pine Sol (on Kato Only).

Supposedly you can strip kato with 91% with lots of scrubbing but I wonder if the ultrasonic would do it..

~Ian

~Ian
~Ian

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:51:50 PM »
In the relm of alcohol stripping, I've never had luck with anything less than straight 91% alcohol.  As I recall we discussed using Vodka, but the $/floz was cost prohibitive.

Alcohol? Isopropyl?

I get 99% IPA (no, not India Pale Ale, but IsoPropyl Alcohol, a.k.a.  Isopropanol) by the gallon from a local True Value hardware store. In the paint thinners section.  It is pricey but cheaper (and stronger) than vodka!   :D
. . . 42 . . .

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »
Alcohol? Isopropyl?

I get 99% IPA (no, not India Pale Ale, but IsoPropyl Alcohol, a.k.a.  Isopropanol) by the gallon from a local True Value hardware store. In the paint thinners section.  It is pricey but cheaper (and stronger) than vodka!   :D

Whatever is in the red bottle at Walmart in the pharmacy section.. (91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol)

I'll have to check that out..

~Ian
~Ian

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 10:46:11 PM »
Whatever is in the red bottle at Walmart in the pharmacy section.. (91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol)
~Ian

OK, thanks.
If your local neighborhood hardware store doesn't carry 99% Isopropanol, they should be able to special order it for you (either by the quart or a gallon).  Not sure if the big-box stores (like Home Depot or Lowe's) can do this for you.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »
I think I will try some 9.9% IPA (yes, India Pale Ale) before I get the courage to try to strip a Kato shell with anything.  :scared:

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 12:02:11 PM »
91% isopropyl works just fine on Kato shells. Get a short, soft bristle paintbrush and go to town after soaking for about 30-45 minutes. The more stubborn shells I let soak for 1.5 hours.

gary60s

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »
My 50/50 mix was 91% isopropyl alcohol and denatured alcohol. Why I combined the 2 I can't say, but it was a little better than just the 91%.  Obviously the big difference was the ultrasonic cleaner.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:45:11 PM by gary60s »
Gary

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 06:09:11 PM »
From what I read, denatured alcohol is likely stronger than 91%.  It is likely a mixture of ethanol (gain alcohol, like vodka) mixed with another substance which makes it poisonous.  The other substance could be another type of alcohol or other substances.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol.  So it has slightly different properties than 91% isopropyl alcohol.

I also suspect that after some time in the ultrasonic cleaner the alcohol bath warms up, which increases its potency even further.
. . . 42 . . .