Author Topic: Out of the Box is having a sale!  (Read 4760 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Out of the Box is having a sale!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »

As for printing costs, once I get my own in house printing operation going, my costs will be very low. A "$65" Shapeways shell would only cost $10 or less. Its really amazing how much companies like Shapeways and GoEngineer inflate their prices, because the material costs, even on the highest of high end printers aren't too bad per print.  Its just the initial cost of the printer thats the tough part.

Well, if you are willing to "eat" the cost of the printer and only charge for the time and materials, your customers will love you!  You also doing this partially as a hobby for your own use, and you have no overhead cost (you're running it from home).  Shapeways is a "real" company with overhead costs liek rent, utilities, employee salaries, and amortizing the cost of the equipment and its maintenance.  I'm not defending Shapweays' pricing model, but you do have an advantage over them.
. . . 42 . . .

orionfield

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
    • Out of the Box Models
Re: Out of the Box is having a sale!
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 12:04:47 PM »
+1
Well, if you are willing to "eat" the cost of the printer and only charge for the time and materials, your customers will love you!  You also doing this partially as a hobby for your own use, and you have no overhead cost (you're running it from home).  Shapeways is a "real" company with overhead costs liek rent, utilities, employee salaries, and amortizing the cost of the equipment and its maintenance.  I'm not defending Shapweays' pricing model, but you do have an advantage over them.

Thats absolutely true. All I want to do is make cool models that nobody else is making, and make them inexpensive so everyone can get the model they've always wanted.
CEO of Out of The Box Models. Ask me about Commissioning a model kit!
www.outoftheboxmodels.com