Author Topic: Repairing Water-Damaged Brass Locomotives  (Read 1536 times)

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
Re: Repairing Water-Damaged Brass Locomotives
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
It looks to me as if the T-1 was remotored with a Maxon, and that's likely what saved it (the FEF wasn't so lucky--that motor was totally destroyed).
Apparently the Maxon motor was factory-installed in that T-1 model.
http://www.spookshow.net/loco/key2104.html

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1942
    • DKS Home
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »
+1
Apparently the Maxon motor was factory-installed in that T-1 model.
http://www.spookshow.net/loco/key2104.html

Strange, since the motor mount wasn't designed for it; maybe it was a last-minute change at the factory. But it's sure worth it--a very smooth runner.

Also, there were a couple of small errors in @spookshow 's review. All gearing is not metal; the worm gear in the gearbox is nylon. And, to remove the shell, one must remove an additional screw under the pilot truck that holds the smokebox to the steam chest.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 06:40:47 PM by DKS »
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
Glad to hear another C&O steamer is back in service!
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2019, 11:28:11 PM »
+3
Here are a couple of "after" images showing the chassis reassembled. After tweaking the siderods and valve gear, it runs as smooth as silk.

The screws holding the cover plate to the frame were in the worst shape, and I had to drill and tap the holes for flathead 0-80s; they're a bit big looking, but I had very few options since the holes had become too big for 00-90s. At least they work.

I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for all of the work you have done for me. I feel like I'm going to show up after Altoona and all of their problems will be magically solved. It's so nice to know that these mementos of a friend are not totally ruined after being in such a depressing state.

- Christian J. Davis

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • DKS Home
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »
Question to the OP:
Are you hoping to preserve the paint on these?  If you are, putting them in an ultrasonic cleaner will strip all the paint off, so you can't go that route.

Actually, I've found the paint on most brass locos to be quite robust. I placed two of Chris' three locos in an ultrasonic cleaner with no ill effects whatsoever, not even to the lettering. I think it may depend on what you use for the bath; my choice is heptane (a.k.a. Bestine). It did a really good job of cleaning off most of the dirt, oil and gunk, although it didn't remove all of the rust. I tried a few different solvents on the rust, including acetone, and while acetone put a dent in the rust patina, it didn't clean off all of it. I found that the only way to remove all of the rust is mechanically, i.e. with a soft wire brush--which, of course, must be used with great care.

In the case of these particular locos, the paint was only removed in the ultrasonic cleaner if had been blistered by the fire--and even then, just a little.

—Monty Python

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • DKS Home
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2019, 06:43:27 PM »
I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for all of the work you have done for me. I feel like I'm going to show up after Altoona and all of their problems will be magically solved. It's so nice to know that these mementos of a friend are not totally ruined after being in such a depressing state.

It has been my sincere pleasure. I only hope I'm as successful with the FEF as I was with the T-1 (happily running, above); the T-1 looked worse, but the FEF had a lot more hidden damage, most notably a destroyed motor.

—Monty Python