Author Topic: E7 grills?  (Read 1177 times)

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
E7 grills?
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:39 PM »
Ok guys, I'm starting a GN E7 project, starting with a LL E7. 

Does someone make etched grills for these things? I've been googling for a while and only see stuff for F type grill, or E8s.

Caddy58

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
Re: E7 grills?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 02:26:54 AM »
http://www.planomodelproducts.com/intakeg_scq.html

Plano makes etched grills

Cheers
Dirk

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:01:14 AM »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »
+4
I have found the best way to dress up E7s and F3s is to mask off the grills and internal framing and then airbrush a light dusting of grimy black.  After this, remove the masking over the framing and airbrush with another very light dusting of grimy black as to not totally obscure the the supports.  Remove the remaining masking around the grills and your done. On the pictures below,  I got a little dark on the first SAL unit for my taste.  I recently did a GN unit but I can't seem to find my pictures. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:38:26 AM by hegstad1 »
Andrew Hegstad

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »
I have found the best way to dress up E7s and F3s is to mask off the grills and internal framing and then airbrush a light dusting of grimy black.  After this, remove the masking over the framing and airbrush with another very light dusting of grimy black as to not totally obscure the the supports.  Remove the remaining masking around the grills and your done. On the pictures below,  I got a little dark on the first SAL unit for my taste.  I recently did a GN unit but I can't seem to find my pictures. 

yeah, that looks pretty great!  I'll have to try that.   You still in liberty? I'll come check out the GN unit ;)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »

But not for the E7.
Although I fear that this distinction may earn me my first  :ashat: , I was confused here by the use of the term "grill"- because an E7 as delivered had screened body openings more similar to the "chicken wire" of an F2 than the grill of an F7.  So assumed what was meant was the aftermarket grills or louvers that were applied to many E7s in later years.

@diezmon- I was going to recommend you follow @hegstad1 's advice, because those units of his look fantastic, but then saw your comment- so you beat me to it.

@hegstad1 - that is brilliantly simple and I fully intend to steal that technique. 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 10:36:49 AM »
yeah, that looks pretty great!  I'll have to try that.   You still in liberty? I'll come check out the GN unit ;)

I am still in Liberty!  PM your personal info and I'll call you when the local guys get together.
Andrew Hegstad

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 09:01:08 PM »
I don’t believe anyone has done a set of grilles for E7s.  Roberto did some sets for chicken wire F units but since the ATSF didn’t have E7s they probably weren’t on his radar.
Frankly properly molded grilles with weathering do a better job of representing the prototype.  The only problem would be adding the extra screening some roads installed to increase cooling.
BTW, I don’t know if it is well known, but the BLI E7s not only have two styles of numberboards but also have two separate styles of compressor compartment doors behind the cab.
Charlie Vlk