Author Topic: "switchlist" Mac OS Software  (Read 976 times)

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
"switchlist" Mac OS Software
« on: May 25, 2018, 11:47:27 PM »
Only recently picked up note about this and wondering if dev lurks around here?

http://www.vasonabranch.com/railroad/switchlist.html

Seems well put together, but a quick review (like other software etc.) shows it has some strange habits/ formats I can't understand.
It will be a hobby within a hobby for the layout-denied crew, like me.
Cheers
davew

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: "switchlist" Mac OS Software
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:53:40 PM »
That would be nice if the developer was hanging with us at TRW. I’ve been using SwitchList for a couple years. It is nice, but it keeps trying to route MT wheat cars to my sand plant. I double check and edit my lists before ops sessions.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

nscalbitz

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 06:22:36 AM »
Thanks for replying Karl.

I can understand that bug too.
I'd be setting up traffic per 'Era'. Wholly steam 1939, transition 1945-55 and 1965.

In my case of quick n dirty testing- read the files and to simulate what I'd be doing using nominal values-
1. I can create a couple of 'Locations' (Towns aka); but they won't appear in other drop downs, e.g. to be used as 'Destination'.
2. Creating XM to XMn for a 36' boxcar, the title changes ok but the 'Length' won't change to 36' even tho that field is corrected.
3. Following from 1 above- I want to use Denver as a destination for Ore Bullion boxcars but I can't stage an empty from Denver.
4. Major anomaly/ bug- running a report alters the saved status of the programme. If you are not careful one could lose data, as there is no auto-save feature.

Let's see, I'll contact directly if we don't hear anything,
regards davew

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:12:42 PM »
Robert is a friend of mine... I should nudge him to sign up for TRW.

FWIW, he's usually very responsive on the mailing list regarding bugs and or issues with the program.

-Dave

nscalbitz

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 08:39:46 PM »
Thanks, ahh, Dave ...

>>. Following from 1 above- I want to use Denver as a destination for Ore Bullion boxcars but I can't stage an empty from Denver.
I fiddled more and find the relationship between 'Town' and 'yard' awkward (or ill defined).
Some 'Towns' appear as control points, but some do not.
I had to add a 'Yard' to Denver (North Yard obviously  :trollface: ) to stage empties from. Yet I could have an empty at another town that has no yard.
Egads, I'm trolling along...
thanks davew

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 02:26:57 AM »
I forgot all about that. I had to set up a ‘yard’ in my junction town to route cars to and from. It wasn’t the most intuitive item, but it did work well once I figured it out.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.