Author Topic: Found a use for those Atlas 40' Gons  (Read 4458 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8035
    • Conrail 1285
Found a use for those Atlas 40' Gons
« on: May 18, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/425157667610052/permalink/1575108912614916/

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

There's some differences (thanks @bman), but if you're not too perturbed by them, it could be a cheap, fun and easy kitbash.

Honestly, this car has @wm3798  written ALL over it.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
Re: Found a use for those Atlas 40' Gons
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »
+1
Overhead view of a different car in that series:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1848825

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8035
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:55:40 PM »
Overhead view of a different car in that series:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1848825

Those holes/slots are quite interesting. I wonder what the story was.

My guess was that these were made for use as woodchip cars for the ONE operation on PC/Conrail that got them and then someone decided to use them for coke or something and they realized it was too heavy so they cut the slots in it to drain "excess lading", kinda the way many second-hand ballast cars are setup.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 05:16:54 PM »
Those holes/slots are quite interesting. I wonder what the story was.

My guess was that these were made for use as woodchip cars for the ONE operation on PC/Conrail that got them and then someone decided to use them for coke or something and they realized it was too heavy so they cut the slots in it to drain "excess lading", kinda the way many second-hand ballast cars are setup.

Looks like it was an EX NYC kinda thing..   Going to have to model that!
~Ian

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
Going to have to model that!

Complete with all of the dents/bulges/distortions, etc... ? I think that's what gives it character.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 05:28:10 PM »
+1
This car was my very first kitbash (using two Atlas gondolas) back in the 1970s.  It was based on a Model Railroader article showing these same PC cars.  I believe these were indeed wood chip pulp wood cars, in spite of what the decal says.   I'll post a picture of the model if I can find it (it isn't pretty by my current standards).

[edit]
Here's my effort from way back when.  The paint job at least is OK.  The rest isn't something I'd be happy with today, although the Walters decals I used were the best available in those days.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:19:11 PM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
NYC pulp wood conversion.. they were also cutting tops off boxcar for the same service... (there may be a 50' version too)
~Ian

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:07:38 PM »
I love it.

Unbelievably, I don't think I've ever owned an Atlas 40' gon.  Are they still in production, or would one have to scour ebay for widows dispatching the collections of their dearly departed model railroaders?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »
I love it.

Unbelievably, I don't think I've ever owned an Atlas 40' gon.  Are they still in production, or would one have to scour ebay for widows dispatching the collections of their dearly departed model railroaders?

Lee

I assume any cheap a$$ 40' gon would work.. Atlas, Bachmann, Model Power, ect..

Should be a dime a dozen at the local train show.. (At least I have 10 of them I can't get rid of..)  But I'll save a few now..

~Ian
~Ian

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »

There's some differences (thanks @bman), but if you're not too perturbed by them, it could be a cheap, fun and easy kitbash.

Honestly, this car has @wm3798  written ALL over it.

Thinking the slots aren't for drainage, after all chips are going to fly out of there unless they're always wet and compressed, maybe they were? And why 2/3rds the way up the sides? Any drainage would need to come from the bottom, and anyway leakage thru a pummeled deck more likely, why not drill 1" holes in the deck if thats its purpose?

More likely a visibility sighting for loading. The round holes look rebuilt, the slots an after thought every alternate panel top and bottom.
And the second shot that one slot wasn't enough.
Alternatively, perhaps they were 'hot loaded' contents and some steam venting was necessary to avoid combustion caused by the drag/ draught?

**Anyone with A1G (Composite ie wood sides or 'War Emergency' as you like :lol: ) they want to get rid of, I'm in for a barrel full as I'm wanting them to use largely unlettered as narrow gauge stand-ins for 'effect'. Both the black and mineral red acceptable for use on D&RG/W.
regards d

Edits* Abhorrent spelling mistakes blah*
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:52:23 PM by nscalbitz »

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 11:04:16 PM »
I assume any cheap a$$ 40' gon would work.. Atlas, Bachmann, Model Power, ect..

Should be a dime a dozen at the local train show.. (At least I have 10 of them I can't get rid of..)  But I'll save a few now..

~Ian

Atlas shows their 42' gon under the Trainman line.  Aren't the Bachman and Model Power gons clones of or close to the Atlas gon? While not a perfect match I think they get into the close enough category and at least be a good stand in IMHO.   

Dime a dozen? Well, our club's N scale weekend is this weekend and has a good many vendors. I have seen a few of these on the tables as everyone was setting up.  As long as I don't take the William J. Le Petomane Thruway to get to the show tomorrow I should be good.   :facepalm:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:06:13 PM by bman »

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 12:35:02 AM »
In the MR article George mentioned, they said what the slots were for but I don't remember, now.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 01:05:02 AM »
What's the story of the original gon though, a shorty fishbelly. Reminds me of the 29' 4" drop-end coil shories WP had.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

metalworkertom

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 03:13:41 AM »
I have a box full of both styles to bash into woodchip cars for Gulf Mobile and Ohio.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
I love it.

Lee

@wm3798,

If you're serious about giving this a go, I may still have two Atlas C&O 40' gons left over that I'll give you to see you try.  Let me know, and I'll dig through the N scale leftovers I have to see if they're still there.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!