Author Topic: Modular Nickel Plate Road in Bellevue  (Read 26223 times)

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +550
Re: Modular Nickel Plate Road in Bellevue
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
Thank you, Eric. Let me chew it over for awhile and I’ll let you know! It’s a really nice looking kit, but I’m not sure about the space it will take up in the scene.

That’s a beautiful part of the coach yard where the depot once was, I talked to Dwayne Fuering who said most of the bricks from the depot structure were taken by the NYC to be dumped by a bridge in Fremont.

Haha, Wheeling Tower is worthy of a layout of itself with all the operational potential. The interchanges, different signals and structures galore, make it a great microcosm of Ohio railroading.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2020, 10:33:44 PM »
Dwayne and I grew up together

His dad and my dad ran the 765 excursions in the 80’s

So excited when he and chris (beamer) brought the 759 home

That was literally a project his dad started Early in his career

We kept the car (executiverail.com) up there for a long time

Good people up that way

We have a car in Cleveland right now at the Midwest society - PRR Chippewa Creek - I will be swinging by to inspect a work session on June 20

Anyway
Sorry to wander

Back to Bellevue

Rock on!!!
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

btrain

• Crew
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2020, 10:49:46 AM »
+14
Took advantage of the good weather yesterday to shoot some photos outside of my modules. I was really nerding out while taking these since I was only a few hundred feet from a former NKP (W&LE) mainline.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2020, 08:36:28 AM »
+1
For The WIN

you can really tell the locations....

Kimball, Bellevue Yard track (ice house lead), Rt 20 crossing, ...    so nice

#HitNailOnHead.

that little "beatle" running around the yard is spot on... 

the Kroger truck...

#Jealous.

looking GREAT

(still need a guy sitting on platform in Kimball)  #BetterModelingThroughPeerPressure :trollface:

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2021, 11:54:32 AM »
+1
Took advantage of the good weather yesterday to shoot some photos outside of my modules. I was really nerding out while taking these since I was only a few hundred feet from a former NKP (W&LE) mainline.

Superb all around! 8)

btrain

• Crew
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
+7
This past weekend was a really great time down in Columbus! I was invited by @w_neal to exhibit my layout at the Ohio N scale Weekend. It was a great show filled with a good lineup of vendors like CMR Products, Spring Creek, and Rasputin selling his line of finely resin cast vehicles. The amount of talent on layouts and displays was really great as well and worthy of note. Several modelers came up to my layout to show their work, which seemed to me at least to be equal or better at some of the O scale brass models I've seen in the past. It was also good to put faces to the user names for several of Railwire members and meet the gentleman who helped AMB with the design of the NKP 1000-series cabooses that are on the tail end of most of my trains.

Believe it or not, the entire 10' x 6' layout fits inside a Kia Soul. I just wanted to show this, since when I was designing the layout, seeing photos of how modelers store and transport modules aren't as common as seeing the shots of them on display. Even though it's a very basic concept, I hope this provides visual clarity to someone thinking about having a modular layout. Also, Velcro strips are a great time saver in helping keep the lower and upper portions of the legs from bouncing around or being too frustrating to handle (I easily look like the clumsy people shown in black and white during cheesy infomercials).

It was very nice to see w_neal's new layout, a double-sided shadow box of a Michigan grain hauler. The design is very clever, and I can see how this layout will provide quite an enjoyable experience of switching cars in a den, living room, or spare bedroom.

All things considered, the layout ran really good and didn't have as many bugs as it did in 2019 when I had part of it on display. Several of the Fast Tracks Bull Frog turnout controls were replaced by Blue Points, which helped a good deal with reliability, and for obvious reasons are able to take some of the abuse that comes with transporting a modular layout.

If anyone knows some hacks on how to get a Bachman Berkshire over some wobbly track, please let me know. The diesels I have and the BLI mikes were pretty good at navigating the transitions between modules, but not so much with the signature locomotive of the NKP.

It was a great time in Columbus, and if you're within a several-hour drive of the capital city. I highly recommend attending this show next year, it's always been good at filling my modeler's mental notebook of all kinds of tips and techniques.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:49:49 PM by btrain »

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2021, 12:54:45 PM »
+1
well done...models and photos