Author Topic: What ESU Decoder will Atlas use for sound GP38/40?  (Read 2643 times)

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
What ESU Decoder will Atlas use for sound GP38/40?
« on: May 15, 2018, 02:59:45 PM »
Have any details been shared about what ESU sound decoder will be in the new Atlas GP38/40s? Is it a new design (part#) or a currently available decoder?

Also, are the changes limited to the frame so we can buy new frames to upgrade older locos? If so, Atlas please make enough extra parts so I can order them!

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: What ESU Decoder will Atlas use for sound GP38/40?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »
Have any details been shared about what ESU sound decoder will be in the new Atlas GP38/40s? Is it a new design (part#) or a currently available decoder?

Also, are the changes limited to the frame so we can buy new frames to upgrade older locos? If so, Atlas please make enough extra parts so I can order them!

No one here knows except @Atlas Paul. I doubt he can comment.  But odds are the decoder will be the ESU LokSound Select Direct Micro 73199.  It could be the 73100 but that's not likely.  Nobody at ESU (i.e. Matt Herman) has commented on creating a new decoder, which they did when they created the special decoder for the Atlas S2 and then the 73100/73199 for IM.  But that's possible, too, just unlikely.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:06:28 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06:55:01 PM »
The 73199 would be great since it appears to be the same design as the 54650 (non-sound). Then I'd be able to MU a new Atlas "sound" version with (hopefully) easily retrofitted existing GP38/40 series (I have over a dozen).
A nice visual comparison here of the two decoders:
http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstipstricks/esuloksound7310073199selectdirectmicroapplicationnotes.html

So @Atlas Paul, does this info need to be a secret for a while longer?

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »
Ryan, I have designed up some small milled PCB boards to act as power pickup and lights for the older style Atlas frames, which can then be simply wired with a LokPilot Micro or Nano, or Zimo 6xx series. I have installed them for a couple folks, and Dave Eaton has been trying them out.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
Sounds like a cool solution Rick...will look forward to seeing your creation.

Ryan, I have designed up some small milled PCB boards to act as power pickup and lights for the older style Atlas frames, which can then be simply wired with a LokPilot Micro or Nano, or Zimo 6xx series. I have installed them for a couple folks, and Dave Eaton has been trying them out.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »
Thought I had posted these, but couldn’t find, so...

Here you see a LokPilot Micro V4 installed on an Atlas GP38-2 frame

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here looking down. The LEDs have their current limiting resistors on the boards, and either the front or rear board can be used for power pickup. The grey and orange wires get direct soldered to the motor tabs

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
Atlas please make enough extra parts so I can order them!

Good luck with that :|

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »
Atlas has come through with many parts request for me and I'm hoping that continues.
I'm starting the conversation early so they can order some extra frames (if that's all it takes).

Good luck with that :|

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
Atlas has come through with many parts request for me and I'm hoping that continues.
I'm starting the conversation early so they can order some extra frames (if that's all it takes).

I doubt that this is that easy and simple. The production numbers are likely already well-established and from what I learned by talking to various manufacturers, it is the Chinese company that decides how many spare parts they will make. It is not like the good old times when models were made locally, and the production quantities were decided in-house.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Kato seems to be the exception to this rule because they are still manufacture their models themselves. Well, they likely get some parts from outside vendors, but those are easier to order in the quantities they decide are needed for models and  spares.
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »
I believe you are correct Peteski.

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »
Atlas has stated that they do order the parts, but often the MFR does not produce them. That has me wondering if the only way to get the parts I want is to cannibalize another loco :scared:..Not cool :RUEffinKiddingMe:

I was sooooo excited for the recent release of SD26s, and the possibility of spare cabs (and glass!)....But, nope, not happening. And then there's the U23B handrails I've been hoping for too(going on 5 years now!)...Again, nope...both models have been released recently.  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

I really hope Atlas parts availability improves ...They used to be GREAT at it, maybe that's why I miss it so much .

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
+2
I wonder how long the China connection is going to last.  Wages are going up in China, and things like this (parts availability) are but one of the issues companies like Atlas face by doing their manufacturing in China (tooling has been known to "disappear," for example).  Micro Trains has shown that it is possible to do quality rolling stock manufacturing in the US.  Making frames and engine parts (motors, trucks, etc.) undoubtedly is more complicated, but one wonders if Athearn, Atlas, FVM, Intermountain, etc. might be willing to do a joint venture to set up a manufacturing facility.  It wouldn't be cheap in the short run, but in the long run I've got to believe it would fix any number of logistical nightmares that China poses and I suspect that it won't be long before the costs of manufacturing in China won't be that much cheaper than in the US.  If manufacturing stuff here adds $5 to the cost of a loco, jeez, OK.  I'm paying $70 or more already; $75 isn't going to kill me.

John C. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »
Atlas has stated that they do order the parts, but often the MFR does not produce them. That has me wondering if the only way to get the parts I want is to cannibalize another loco :scared:..Not cool :RUEffinKiddingMe:\

Um, that is exactly what Bachmann, Intermountain, and Walthers seem to do.  Bachmann and Intermountain seem to have some new parts and some pull-offs from assembled models, while Walthers always uses pull-offs from assembled models.  At least that is my experience.
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »
Um, that is exactly what Bachmann, Intermountain, and Walthers seem to do.  Bachmann and Intermountain seem to have some new parts and some pull-offs from assembled models, while Walthers always uses pull-offs from assembled models.  At least that is my experience.

Yes, but I was implying that Iwould have to cannibalize a loco, since I didn't think/consider Atlas would do this...

But, yes, that would be preferred over "unavailable"..

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »

^speculation^

Bachmann actually does produce some parts (they own at least one factory) though they seem to be moving away from this.
Intermountain also seems to keep parts on hand (I have gotten parts in the past and they always were on the sprue).
Walthers - what's a part? :trollface: (the only time I ordered parts from them they send me OBVIOUSLY used parts and charged me an arm and a leg :x)

On the Chinese factories refusing to produce parts - if I were an importer and I placed a purchase order for parts and the supplier balked I would be one pissed importer! This is an absurd concept - can you imagine a supplier to Toyota refusing to produce parts unless they were part of a finished car? :lol:

Very strange to me that the Chinese factories are able to dictate terms like this but it appears to be true ...  :o

Mark (most of the above is speculation, except for my interaction with IM and Wally)