Author Topic: Useful tooling that seemed to vanish...  (Read 3472 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4624
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Useful tooling that seemed to vanish...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
The oven is a great idea!

I think hot water is even better - I think you have more control over the temperature and more even heating.  Oven=melted plastic (at least in my mind).  I know, the oven is supposed to be turned of before the procedure, but still . . .
. . . 42 . . .

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 04:51:55 PM »
I agree with warm/hot water.

The Rowa passenger car molds were "lost".

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1001
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 11:14:42 PM »
I think hot water is even better - I think you have more control over the temperature and more even heating.  Oven=melted plastic (at least in my mind).  I know, the oven is supposed to be turned of before the procedure, but still . . .
I was following instructions I read somewhere.  Used an oven thermometer (not the knob on the stove) to determine temperature.  Max temp was 100 and something F (forget exactly, would have to look it up, but was hot enough to soften styrene but below melting temp).  All I can say is that it worked.  YMMV. 

I can see water having advantages as well.  I have flattened some resin pieces in the 140 F water out of the tap.  As you say, easier to maintain a given temp. 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4624
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 11:35:43 PM »
I was following instructions I read somewhere.  Used an oven thermometer (not the knob on the stove) to determine temperature.  Max temp was 100 and something F (forget exactly, would have to look it up, but was hot enough to soften styrene but below melting temp).  All I can say is that it worked.  YMMV. 

I can see water having advantages as well.  I have flattened some resin pieces in the 140 F water out of the tap.  As you say, easier to maintain a given temp.

Not everything read "somewhere" (I assume Internet) is good (or best) advice.  :)  But it is good to know that we all seem to agree about the advantage of using water.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1001
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 01:13:45 AM »
I'm hoping that model quality is such that none of us will ever have the opportunity to do a study with statistically significant quantities to make a determination of best practices in flattening warped thermoplastic shells.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1333
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 01:45:05 AM »
I do miss the Walthers log flats, although the 6 I have are enough.  My logging company could use another dozen, to replace CC 50 ft flatcars with bunks added.
N Kalanaga
Be well