Author Topic: Working front couplers for Bachmann Mountains and Consolidations  (Read 2103 times)

joelm

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Hey guys: I'm finally getting around to upgrading my Bachmann Heavy and Light Mountains and Consolidations for operations.  None of these come with an operating front coupler. I'd be surprised if none of you guys have installed working MT's in these. Can anyone provide information on the coupler(s) used and the process for installation? I'm thinking MT Z gauge couplers would be easiest (I use them already on old Life Like E9's and they couple ok with MT N's).  Thanks! Joel

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +924
Re: Working front couplers for Bachmann Mountains and Consolidations
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »
Used MT 905 (Z gauge) coupler on my Consolidation.  Required enlarging the front coupler opening for the draft gear box, and the box sticks out a bit (see photo), but it works and looks OK.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

John C.

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
Yup, Z scale couplers. I have done the older Bachmann 2-8-0s and 4-8-4s. Remove dummy coupler and finagle to get the MT to the correct height.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:12:55 PM »
Hey guys, thanks. Did you screw it or glue it? Thanks, Joel

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »
I screwed them in . I like a nice mechanical connection.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
I have been thinking about doing this, using the 905s.  I am wondering how far the coupler needs to extend beyond the pilot to allow the uncoupling pins from coupled cars to clear the "cow catcher" on the loco.  If it doesn't look right, perhaps changing the pilot to a switcher type with foot boards only would allow the necessary pin clearance with a more prototypical coupler protrusion from the loco pilot?

Thoughts/suggestions?

rgengineoiler

• Crew
  • Retired, Union, Operating Engineer, 43 years Svc.
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
You all say, "looks ok and works ok", but what about strength in pulling a line of cars doing switching or helper work?  Doug

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +924
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
You all say, "looks ok and works ok", but what about strength in pulling a line of cars doing switching or helper work?  Doug

I've pushed and pulled a string of 10-20 cars each weighted to 1oz. with it in yard duty for three hours straight during an op session (BTW, I also used a screw to anchor mine).  If the 905 coupler is at the appropriate height relative to the regular N couplers, it is nearly just as strong.  Some folks convert their entire rolling stock fleet to 905's because they are more in scale than the N scale version.  You do have to pay careful attention to height, but if you do, they are just as reliable as 1015's.

John C.

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »
Thanks, guys! Time for me to get to work! Joel

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1314
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 01:39:11 AM »
I have a 30 car set of Atlas ore cars with 905s, and they work fine.
N Kalanaga
Be well

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
I use 905's on mine as well. To get them to sit back and not stick out too far, I cut the rear of the coupler box off at an angle plus remove a small amount of the pilot truck. Trip pins I do not worry about because I don't use them so I cut them off below the coupler.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1314
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 01:49:53 AM »
Cutting the rear off 905 boxes works fine.  I've done it on a lot of Nn3 cars for added clearance.

Also, the trip pin on a 905 isn't long enough to work well on a standard gauge car, so it might as well be cut off.  I didn't, but since I don't use magnetic uncoupling, it doesn't matter.  If you do use magnets, you might want to find a piece of wire that will work as a replacement.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »
Regarding the trip pins on 905s, I don't worry about the pins on the 905s, themselves.  What I worry about is the trip pins on the couplers of the cars that couple to the 905s on the loco pilots.  If the 905s don't stick out far enough, won't the pins from whatever they couple to be sticking into the loco pilot ("cow catcher")? 

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1773
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »
Regarding the trip pins on 905s, I don't worry about the pins on the 905s, themselves.  What I worry about is the trip pins on the couplers of the cars that couple to the 905s on the loco pilots.  If the 905s don't stick out far enough, won't the pins from whatever they couple to be sticking into the loco pilot ("cow catcher")?

Yes, they will.  I use Z couplers on the front of all my steam.   I just tack it in there with a dot of ACC or Walthers Goo just to temporarily hold it in place, and then test it by rolling some cars up to it to see if they couple and the trip pins clear the "cow catcher".   I move the pilot coupler out enough until they don't hit anymore, then mark, then drill and put a screw or pin in to hold the coupler (depending on how much room there is and if I can fit a screw in there).   If you can fit a screw in there, even a metal pin through the screw hole will be a lot strong than just using glue alone.

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 11:27:57 PM »

I can see how that might be a factor, but my club does not use the trip pins and I don't at home. We have several members that use Z couplers on everything and those trip pins are way too short to do anything. I would say at least a third of our members cut them off completely. Leave just enough to keep the coupler together.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA