Author Topic: LokSound Micro Direct install  (Read 1235 times)

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
LokSound Micro Direct install
« on: May 01, 2018, 06:10:17 PM »
+3
Hi all.
Here is my latest install (s). N scale Atlas SD24 with an LokSound Micro Direct. 73199.
Took a lot of pictures has I had three of these to do. You have to do a bit of grinding or milling to fit this into the locomotive.
First thing I should note is: I had to mount the decoder in backwards. Front to the rear and of course rear to front.
I did this because the other way I was not able to fit a 9 X16 speaker into the area. The first Photos show me fitting the decoder in the front to front mounting which I found out later the speaker did not fit.
I also added jumper wires from the decoder to the motor. I sure wish that the speaker pads were some place else on this decoder rather than on the bottom. 

boy I hope that these come up. Pictures I am talking about.

woodone

• Crew
Re: LokSound Micro Direct install
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:20:43 PM »
Has you can see in the 3rd photo the speaker pads are real close to the frame. I took out some of the material just to make sure the connections would not hit. Again I am still working with the decoder pointed in the wrong direction. You are seeing in real time how I was working.
The frame clearance was still needed when I reversed the decoder. so no harm no foul!
Got more photos coming= lost track of them on the PC for a bit.
One of the problems I ran into was the front light- It was mounted so it would light up a low nose light, The SP had the light and number boards up high in the cab. So I removed the LED and made a PCB to raze the LED. The rear light was too far to the rear to light up the light so I removed the LED and hard wired it to fit on top of the speaker. You can now see the speaker and enclosure mounted to the rear of the decoder which has been turned around. Hope this is not too confusing it is just that I have to work around the problems that come up even after I had a plan.
One photo show the inside of the shell where I had to grind down the real light lens. This was so the speaker would fit up into the shell.
One other thing, I had to make up some black styrene .005 material to block off the cab windows so the LED did not light up the cab with a nuclear glow.   

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 05:43:35 PM »
Guess no one has any Atlas SD24's

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 05:56:17 PM »
Hi nice install.  I actually don’t have any Sd24s. Maybe you can post a video so we can hear how it sounds?
Steve

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »
I have an SD26, which is in my to-do bucket, for some ESU decoder, still TBD. With the new boards, it may very well be sound.  It is, actually, my only personally owned Atlas loco.

By all of us documenting these processes, we are developing a nice reference database.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
Steve, sorry these were for a client of mine and have been shipped home. I thought the sound was good- the horn was way too loud.  So no video.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 10:45:10 PM »
Nice install!