Author Topic: If Scale Trains were to do a 60s/70s era locomotive in N  (Read 8464 times)

Mr Z

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
Re: If Scale Trains were to do a 60s/70s era locomotive in N
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2018, 07:07:11 PM »
I'm in for a couple of U18B's.

Considering how many other Maine Central locos are out there, this is the one big one missing form the list.

Martin

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2018, 09:30:03 PM »
How accurate are the Atlas GP35s? I just ordered a couple Pennsy units.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2018, 06:07:16 AM »
How accurate are the Atlas GP35s? I just ordered a couple Pennsy units.

They are pretty good. But the hood is 6" too wide.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2018, 07:07:00 AM »
U33/36C

Pretty much any U28-36B/C for that matter.

Criminally under represented.

This and more SD40's / SD45's

gelboy45

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2018, 06:50:06 PM »
+1
Some Alco FAs, MKT for me.........

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »
Is this a attempt to decide which locos Scale-Train might produce, or just a coffee shop chat about things we'd like to see? Wondering.
Oh, and forget about any FAs. As several TRW members will school you, there are still too many LL ones around and nobody wants any new DCC versions. And FAs ain't zactly '70s locos ...

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 10:00:42 PM »
+1

U33/36C

Pretty much any U28-36B/C for that matter.

Criminally under represented.

This and more SD40's / SD45's

SDs??? GPs????
U-boats (opposed to uBoots) maybe so, but with a proliferation of manfrs out there, who would be kamikaze enough to do more?
Look at the banging that Rapido and Kato get for just making something in another scale- they get it both ways till November....
FWIW, dave

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »
They are pretty good. But the hood is 6" too wide.

And the long hood number boards are just wrong (as are the number boards on the GP30 and the Kato SD40, SD45, and SD40-2). Still the best we got - I'm hanging on to mine until a better one is released.  8)

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2018, 07:04:18 AM »
Is this a attempt to decide which locos Scale-Train might produce, or just a coffee shop chat about things we'd like to see? Wondering.

Im wondering this myself. This type of thread is already a quarterly event, everyone chimes in with their most needed loco, and then we do it again in a few months :facepalm:.

I think I want Scaletrains to stick around, as their early offerings have been nicely done, albeit with some teething problems, but their first offerings were niche models. Even the new GE toaster thingy is limited to "modern" era modelers, or those who ignore era. I bet they would do very well with a more common prototype, such as the SD45s. That is, as long as they do the high nose version  :trollface:;)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:02:52 PM by coosvalley »

phil55

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2018, 11:09:07 PM »
What teething ptoblems? These things are better out of the box than anything previously offered anywhere. Period!
Phil

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2018, 08:58:59 AM »
What teething ptoblems? These things are better out of the box than anything previously offered anywhere. Period!

I remember reading folks were not impressed with grab irons on the turbines, and also something about power pick up issues.. but your mileage may vary

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4619
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »
I remember reading folks were not impressed with grab irons on the turbines, and also something about power pick up issues.. but your mileage may vary

You might be thinking about this thread.  It was not about a specific model, but about factory-applied free-standing grab irons in general.  That thread did not end well (and no I have not yet "fixed" my Big Blow grabs).  Like with everything out there, there are differing opinions about the subject. As for the Big Blow, it has some design/assembly/fit problems too (but so do most newly released models from most manufacturers).  Those Big Blow discussions are in the forum's archive (if one was to search for them).
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »
You might be thinking about this thread.  It was not about a specific model, but about factory-applied free-standing grab irons in general.  That thread did not end well (and no I have not yet "fixed" my Big Blow grabs).  Like with everything out there, there are differing opinions about the subject. As for the Big Blow, it has some design/assembly/fit problems too (but so do most newly released models from most manufacturers).  Those Big Blow discussions are in the forum's archive (if one was to search for them).

...And this is what I meant by :teething problems". I wasn't bashing ST , but I did notice not everybody was of the opinion that they were " better out of the box than anything previously offered", as stated by phil55..

....but it was their first N scale loco, and as a first efforts go, it is nothing to be ashamed of!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4619
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
...And this is what I meant by :teething problems". I wasn't bashing ST , but I did notice not everybody was of the opinion that they were " better out of the box than anything previously offered", as stated by phil55..

....but it was their first N scale loco, and as a first efforts go, it is nothing to be ashamed of!

While possible, I really don't think those are just teething problems. It is a problem tied to the people that design/build those models.  Models from other companies that have their model design/assembly outsourced show similar shortcomings in their designs and quality issues with assembly.  It is just the way things are in today's world.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Actually considering how many more free-standing details (which are all glued on by some assembly worker) there are on today's models compared to ones made 20 years ago, things aren't that bad.  with let's say 50 or more individually glued on handrails or other do-dads per each model, the yield of acceptable quality models is pretty good. It is the overall design of those models that could be a bit better. But I think we are dealing with design engineers who aren't as innovative or clever as they could be.  Then of course there are budgetary restraints which limits the design.  More funds end up being allocated to all the super-detailing on the shell, leaving the mechanism under-desinged.  At least that's how I see it.
. . . 42 . . .

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2018, 05:25:55 PM »
They probably due SD40p & SD45P
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/