Author Topic: Has anyone ever used WWScenics static grass?  (Read 3642 times)

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
Has anyone ever used WWScenics static grass?
« on: April 28, 2018, 05:12:07 PM »
I found this UK company on Amazon recently and their static grass variety looks impressive. I had never heard of them, but they seem to be more into war gaming and model railroading is more on the side.  Has anyone used their products before? 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DASCSKND8NCR20&field-keywords=

I like that each style is a mixture of colors like the real world.  And that you can choose fiber length. 

https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Static-Grass-1000ml-WWS/dp/B07B4YR6ZZ/ref=sr_1_45?m=ASCSKND8NCR20&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1524949042&sr=1-45&keywords=static&th=1

Ten dollars for a liter seems like a good deal too.  I ended up ordering about $45 worth of various styles and lengths and shipping from the UK was only $10. It shipped out a day or two later, but the estimated shipping time is a month.  I'll report back once the slow boat arrives.   :D
Aaron Bearden

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
Re: Has anyone ever used WWScenics static grass?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
Here's a direct link to them. Looks like they have a wide selection of static grass!!

http://www.war-world.co.uk/

Jon

chessie system fan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 06:24:30 PM »
I'm looking forward to trying out the pine straw brown color.  If you model the South it's an absolute must, but I've never seen that color static grass anywhere else.
Aaron Bearden

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »
Interesting. I just hand mix the Woodland Scenic and/or Scenic Express grasses together.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 06:48:25 PM »
Yeah, I have a bunch of them but haven't gotten back to the point of needing to use them yet.
I've tested all that I bought just to see what I have.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 06:48:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to trying out the pine straw brown color.  If you model the South it's an absolute must, but I've never seen that color static grass anywhere else.

It would solve an understory issue but you don’t need it to stand up like regular grass .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

chessie system fan

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 07:54:57 PM »
^Oh, I've been around my fair share of southern pines to realize that.   :D  But it'll look better that ground foam for the forest floor (or so my theory goes).  We'll see if that's true when it arrives.
Aaron Bearden

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
 >>^Oh, I've been around my fair share of southern pines to realize that.

Do you mean you have observed  the bare patches beneath pines? Pine needles are acidic, and prevent all but the strongest of grasses and sub-flora from growing. Hence large radii of brown patches. Land that has been forested with pines and then milled need several years of fallow open growth to restore balance to the earth they covered.

As to 'grasses'- been using Heki brand since early days (70's) for diorama and 'stands' . You do not need to mix before use. They are a bit like magnets- they orient and space between one another. Light dustings on glue, then a change in shade or 'sweep' with a completely different colour will result in a more realistic terrain than a 100% premixed formula- whether yours or packaged.
Nature is applied in layers and forms, not presettled dogma.  :P cheers dave

chessie system fan

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »
+1
Well It's time for an update already.  :lol:  Turns out my package had already arrived.  The postman had dropped it off at the wrong house on the street while the owners were on a  cruise. :facepalm:  So no telling how long it's been there on their doorstep.  I placed the order on April 14th.

At first glance, the fall blend appears promising.  "Wild meadow" too.

And for the brown color I got for pine straw, it's closer than anything else but could be better.  It's more on the chocolate/maroon side of brown when it needs to be on the tan side of brown.

Now I need to make one of those bug zapper applicators.
Aaron Bearden

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 06:31:30 AM »
Proper dead pine needle color is something that is very lacking in the static grass world. A proper "rusty" brown/redish color would be great. I've often wondered if it would be possible to apply the stuff to a pine tree armature using the tree as the grounding object for the charges for a real "dead pine" look. I tried suggesting it to the scenic express guy once but was met with a less than enthusiastic response.
Buffering...

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 08:12:38 PM »
Don't be too picky about scenery scales.
Here's a section I did converting a mountainous tree area to a scenic milled section as we see them here. It allowed the backdrop real photo mountains to come thru, which in driving certain parts of the country would have been the vista you saw crossing a hill line.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This is just old fashioned coloured sawdust that we had in buckets still. I layered the colours as best i could t get the effect and depth of rawness and recent milling (without masses of debri and vehicle ruts etc).

When using flock I'd perhaps try a light dry brushing of tans and lightened umber paints as alluded to above.
regds davew

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »

Yeah it looks good.  *Most* colors are too green (to my eye) and look like well-kept, ornamental grass colors.

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »
+1
Agree there is often too much green in scenery on model railroads. There is a lot more yellow than one thinks.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »
Agree there is often too much green in scenery on model railroads. There is a lot more yellow than one thinks.
Rod.

A f'in men, brother.

A f'in men.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »
cept in Alaska

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com